Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hawthorn Hedge: at the end of its life?

So while most definately not thinking about breaking the no plants rule I was looking around the garden and noticed that the hedge is looking very bare on its lower half but fine on top. Do Hawthorn hedges have a lifetime? It could, in one form or another have been here since the 50s and is definately well established. What can we do to help encourage growth lower down? As well as a wildlife haven it provides a nice height of privacy from the school so we won't be pulling it out to replace with a fence.

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139
    There are hawthorn hedges in existence that started out in Medieval times, but they do benefit from cutting hard back from time to time, or 'laying' in the traditional way. Google will show you lots of examples, I'm on my phone at the moment so links are difficult image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Dave MorganDave Morgan Posts: 3,123

Hawthorn greens up where the sun hits it first, usually the top half the rest follows in time. They're tough and long lasting. If you cut the hedge narrow at the top wider at the base more light hits the bottom of the hedge so it evens out.

• RedwingRedwing Posts: 1,511

Good advice from Dove but too late this year for laying I think. But not too late to cut hard back to .75m or less. Go for narrow at the top and wider at the base. It will romp away this spring and summer.

Based in Sussex, I garden to encourage as many birds to my garden as possible.