London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
3 messages
08/07/2012 at 21:23

Two years ago we bought two  named hazel nut trees, and planted them up.  They are now strong healthy looking young trees, which bore a few nuts last year, and there are signs of a few to come this year.

My question is this, how do I prune them to encourage more fruiting next year, and in the following years?  They cannot be allowed to get too tall due to the place in which they are - but I know I have seen highly productive hazel hedges so that should not be a problem, if only I knew how to set about it.  Any help would be greatly welcomed. 

08/07/2012 at 21:40

When we had an old hazel coppice an elderly neighbour showed us how to do thishttp://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/blog/brutting-hazel-trees-to-get-more-nuts/ .  I was sceptical, but it really increased the crop.  I'm sure he didn't call it brutting tho, but I can't remember what he did call it.

Then he would come and coppice one or two 'stools' each November, planning it so that each bush was coppiced every 7 years.

I love green hazel nuts - they are such a treat 

09/07/2012 at 11:20

Thank you, just ethe kind of information I was looking for.  I do so agree re green hazel nuts, my sister in law grows them which is why we wanted to start - yummy!

email image
3 messages