Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hazel nut queries

Two years ago we bought two  named hazel nut trees, and planted them up.  They are now strong healthy looking young trees, which bore a few nuts last year, and there are signs of a few to come this year.

My question is this, how do I prune them to encourage more fruiting next year, and in the following years?  They cannot be allowed to get too tall due to the place in which they are - but I know I have seen highly productive hazel hedges so that should not be a problem, if only I knew how to set about it.  Any help would be greatly welcomed. 

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

When we had an old hazel coppice an elderly neighbour showed us how to do thishttp://www.ashridgetrees.co.uk/blog/brutting-hazel-trees-to-get-more-nuts/ .  I was sceptical, but it really increased the crop.  I'm sure he didn't call it brutting tho, but I can't remember what he did call it.

Then he would come and coppice one or two 'stools' each November, planning it so that each bush was coppiced every 7 years.

I love green hazel nuts - they are such a treat image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• BookertooBookertoo Posts: 1,306

Thank you, just ethe kind of information I was looking for.  I do so agree re green hazel nuts, my sister in law grows them which is why we wanted to start - yummy!