Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Heating the greenhouse

What are the best ways to heat  a greenhouse?

• Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Using the sun is the best way but no use during winter. Having the greenhouse in full sun and dug about 1 metre into the ground surrounded by stone chippings, having the floor tiled all retain heat and use the earths heat. A thermostatic fan heater will then keep the heat around the greenhouse.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Another good way is using massive rolls of horticutural bubble wrap around the walls. I have seen it in B&Q for £15, not sure the length though. But if stored correctly, it could be a worth while investment especially when used year are year.

I have to use parrafin as we don't have electricity at the allotment, but a 5ltr container lasts all week - it's £1 a ltr.

• artjakartjak Posts: 4,167

marshmello, where are you managing to get paraffin that cheaply? I'm having to pay B&Q £7.00 for 4 litres.image

• LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218
    blairs wrote (see)

Using the sun is the best way but no use during winter. Having the greenhouse in full sun and dug about 1 metre into the ground surrounded by stone chippings, having the floor tiled all retain heat and use the earths heat. A thermostatic fan heater will then keep the heat around the greenhouse.

Blairs, could you give a little more info 'dug about 1m into the ground surrounded by stone chippings'.  At the moment I'm visulising a sunken greenhouse!  Can't think thats what you mean.  Only ask as I am getting a greenhouse this year and am trying to gather as much info as pos so I get the right base laid.  Thanks.

• marshmellomarshmello Posts: 683

Artjak, I buy it from the Allotment Association Shop on site - a not for profit organisation which is run by a few of the gardeners.

Yes, it can be quite expensive from places like that.

• I have made myself a propigation bed with heated cables that warm the soil and are controlled by a thermostat, that really helps keep my greenhouse warm.

• blackestblackest Posts: 623

I'm using grass,no not smoking it but bags full of clippings as they break down they give off a lot of heat. It's enough to keep the frost at bay overnight. Along with fleece and a few black milk cartons. which are warmed by the sun and release the heat at night as it cools.

I'm thinking about buying a sidney tube to effectively harvest the suns heat. A single tube is about €65 http://www.solarbook.ie/sydney-vacuum-tube.html

The link explains better than i can.

LorraineP wrote (see)
    blairs wrote (see)

Blairs, could you give a little more info 'dug about 1m into the ground surrounded by stone chippings'.  At the moment I'm visulising a sunken greenhouse!  Can't think thats what you mean.  Only ask as I am getting a greenhouse this year and am trying to gather as much info as pos so I get the right base laid.  Thanks.

Until recently all greenhouses were built into the ground - at least 1 metre with a trench around them. You only really had a top few feet of glass. Frost only penetrates  the top 3 inches and the earth naturally keeps plants above freezing point. If you put stone chippings around the greenhouse (they were built with brick foundations) then that is a heat sink as the stones retain heat. You could make the greenhouse warmer by using hot beds - grass clippings as blackest has said. It takes a bit of work though!

The bog standard glass greenhouses loose heat as it escapes out very easily. Have a brick foundation and it looses less heat and the brick retains heat. I would also always have a stone/paved floor in a greenhouse. Earth is no use.

• LorrainePLorraineP Posts: 218

Blairs: so I wasn't so silly about a sunken greenhouse then?  

If it has a solid floor will it need drainage?

Re drainage, you would need to site it somewhere where it does not flood and water naturally flows away. Bottom of a slope is no good!

I found this link:

http://www.tulipsinthewoods.com/plant-care/cheap-and-easy-greenhouse/