Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

hedge-problem

Hello to everyone,
I wondered if anyone could help me find a solution to a problem I have with my boundary.My boundary is a 6ft concrete wall that is next to a pathway leading to an estate behind my property.I suffer from alot of anti-social behaviour from kids throwing from the pathway at my windows.I want to plant a some hedging that will go right next to my side of the wall.I would like something that would be a solid barrier and grow to about 8-10ft high.The problem is it would have to be planted close to the wall otherwise I would have to dismantle my drive.I am worried about any hedge whose roots would affect the foundation of my wall.It would also be planted ideally near to a garage aswell.I would like any suggestions for a hedging plant that would suit my purposes?Would yew be a possibilty?

regards
andy

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,273

Is the bed very dry? Is it sunny or in shade or a bit of both?

• waterbuttswaterbutts Posts: 1,273

Just a thought. A trellis on long posts would be much quicker and then you could grow climbers over it that would not have problem roots. Evergreen clematis armandii is a fast grower, evergreen and has perfumed flowers.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

You need something spiky to deter unwanted visitors and vandals so I would suggest pyracantha which is evergreen, thorny and has spring blossom and autumn fruits to feed and attract wildlife such as insects and birds.

It can be grown quite narrow and encouraged to spread upwards and across and you can choose form varieties with red, orange or yellow berries though the birds will like the red and orange best.

You will need to enrich and improve the soil with plenty of well rotted or bought garden compost and maybe some well rotted manure or just pelleted chicken manure before you plant anything.

Pyracantha maidens or small shrubs can be bought quite cehaply and the best time to plant is between mid September and the end of November which give sthem plenty of time to get their roots established before the spring surge of growth and blossom.  Soak the pots in a bucket till no further air bubbles appear and water again after planting.  prune any stems heading away from your wall and into teh walk space then watch them grow.

Yo may need to think about installing some tall posts and wires to train the branches across to form a solid barrier when they get above wall height.   Smaller plants will get there faster than ones that are already tall and mature as they settle in better.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Hello everyone thank you for replying .I was looking for something more substantial than a trellis hedge.kids might try and pull it down even on my side of the wall.I was told in another forum that yew if well pruned would be  a good choice.I can wait even if its slow growth just as long as i know a good solid hedge is taking shape.I wonder what members think about a laurel hedge?

• hello again,

I forgot to say that the bed is okay not particularly dry .It is in partial shade do to a neighbours lleylandii trees cutting some light.

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,065

laurel want too much space and like to grow wide as well as high.   Yew is poisonous so you have to be careful with any clippings and make sur eany small people in your family don't eat the berries but it does make a lovely hedge which is easy to shape and can be trimmed back hard if needs be. 

Hawthorn will grow at about 6' a year - mine does - so is another possibility.  Keeping it trimmed back will encourage it to thicken and grow high and is also wildlife friendly though not evergreen.  The pyracantha will eventually thicken up too if trained and pruned appropriately.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Tropical SamTropical Sam Posts: 1,488

Hawthorn - no one is going to go through that, it is cheap, easy to grow and grows fast. You can mix in evergreens with it.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'd go with hawthorn or a native mix with mostly hawthorn. 

From personal experience I'd say avoid laurel. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • XX Posts: 707

I'd say Hawthorn or pyracantha and like others have said, avoid Laurel

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

Agree- Laurel's too big to keep in a narrow area  whereas pyracantha will happily stay in an awkward spot - I'm using it here as a 'ned' deterrent too Andy! And I'm going for hawthorn or blackthorn round the front garden as one side of it is also bordering the pavement.  image

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...