London (change)
Today 22°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 23°C / 15°C
5 messages
09/05/2014 at 22:55

Hello all, 

Am looking forward to being part of the community.

Am in Mid East Scotland, and recently planted a ( pink) DIY- store Anemone de Caen ( I think)  only to find after about a week that one night something had neatly snipped the larger flower stalks, and leaves away completely. Only the thickest parts of stalks remained, almost neatly piled to the side!  

My 4YO son completely denies culpability, and I believe him. The cuts looked so neat I was about to quiz next-door's son of similar age! 

My mum mentioned wood pigeons eating things other creatures would fine unpalatable, but I've seen little other pigeon damage yet this year and the other anemone planted at same time (blue) 15 feet away is untouched. 

???  Am perplexed.

A monster slug with secateurs ?

Thanks for any ideas.

09/05/2014 at 23:39

Hello Onion, welcome to the forum.

Ah, if I knew what had eaten my plants, I could make a list as long as my arm.

I would hazard a guess that it was indeed a slug. They are very partial to anemones. At least they are in my garden. Pigeons can be quite indiscriminate in what they peck at, as can blackbirds, pheasants and even magpies.

If several stalks on one plant have been cut off I think it is most probably a slug. Or a snail.

10/05/2014 at 08:41

Hello Onion and welcome 

I have a sneaky feeling it might be voles.....or similar.  Mice?  Perhaps going for the moisture in the stems.  

I had a few tulips like that.  Looked as if someone had called overnight with a pair of secateurs.  I had a spate of such happening a few years ago and caught several small mice.  However, I decided to live and let live.  

10/05/2014 at 08:44

I had mice stealing the corms of mine when I planted them in a trough. I know because I saw them!

10/05/2014 at 13:51

Many thanks for all your answers.

We certainly have mice as one of the first casualties of my beer traps was a mouse!

It was only made from a plastic bottle (the trap, not the mouse) and perhaps a bit too level with ground as there were also a couple of ground beetles in it as well.

I've upgraded my beer-traps to these:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/45294.jpg?width=640&height=350&mode=max

They'll get in quick enough but have trouble getting out should they try!

I've moved the anemone back into a pot with some other plants and put one of these it it's place. 

You can just make out the sad remains of a supermarket clematis which the slugs and the drying wind have had fun bullying.

email image
5 messages