London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
13 messages
28/08/2013 at 13:12

Hi, my name is Tim, and I have a problem. We bought our home with a well established garden. I have managed a lot of mowing, plenty of hedge trimming and a little pruning. We are complete novices in all things green and flowery, the iimmediate problem is this, we have a palm tree, with long spikey leaves. they fall and re grow, not a problem. But now the tree is dying, leaves are turning brown and drooping. The only thing I can see are 2 nail holes where a piece of wood was previously fixed. I am convinced this is the problem, but don't know what to do to save the tree.

Any help would be very much welcomed.

thnks in advance, tim.

28/08/2013 at 13:17

Where are you? Palm trees like it warm.

28/08/2013 at 13:46

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30012.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

We are in wexford, Ireland. The other thieving roving thriving.

28/08/2013 at 14:06

Sorry dont understand your journaling  : The other thieving roving thriving .

Explain Please - or am I missing something ?

28/08/2013 at 14:18

Predictive texting is a pain in the derriere.

28/08/2013 at 14:21

You could trim off the dead leaves. I think this is its normal habit. The green shoots look OK. I can't see the pieces of wood doing any harm.

28/08/2013 at 14:32

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/30031.jpg?width=360&height=350&mode=max

Sorry, I meant thriving. This is where the nails were.

28/08/2013 at 14:37

Unless it all goes dead at the tops, I would just trim the brown bits of leaves off and leave the green bits. Maybe it had a bad winter and is still suffering.

28/08/2013 at 18:24

Hjya tim 

Those nail.holes won't cause a problem.  Palms are corky and quite different to most trees, shrubs.  

They do naturally shed their bottom leaves and do so throughout the year.  Yours is simply getting taller.....looks green at the top

They grow everywhere down here.  If mine I would cut back a couple of those branches.....mid spring would be an ideal time.  New shoots would then grow at the cut points.  Then ...maybe a year later.....repeat on another branch or two.  

I'm currently doing something similar with a variegated cordyline that I allowed to grow,vigorously on a simgle trunk.  I notched points in the outer layer of the trunk to encourage new shoots that are now each about 2' long.  Next year they will be 3 or 4' and then I will cut back the single lomg....15'......trunk

28/08/2013 at 18:25

Having spent many winters in the West Indes and summers in the Med. your tree is not a Palm. It is a Yucca - a generally hardy tree which can be seen in Devon and Cornwall (commonly in Torquay) and also incorrectly believed to be Palm trees.

What were the nails which made the holes made of? If they were copper, that is the answer to your question - they are very toxic to trees.

28/08/2013 at 20:02

Maybe bigolob, 

Just assumed cordyline but picture not too clear for me. ,yes, yukkas. ( absolutely hate them) are just as abundant down here as palms of all kinds.   Treatment though is just the same I think.....you can cut back as hard as you like, even to the ground, and they will regrow.  They are such vicious plants and difficult to remove that I won't grow or recommend them......still can't determine if tim's picture is of a cordyline or a yukka.

28/08/2013 at 20:03

Maybe bigolob, 

Just assumed cordyline but picture not too clear for me. ,yes, yukkas. ( absolutely hate them) are just as abundant down here as palms of all kinds.   Treatment though is just the same I think.....you can cut back as hard as you like, even to the ground, and they will regrow.  They are such vicious plants and difficult to remove that I won't grow or recommend them......still can't determine if tim's picture is of a cordyline or a yukka.  Cordyline I think

28/08/2013 at 20:12

Thanks for all the replies. Guess I will have to see what the winter brings and then maybe cut back a bit in spring. Thanks again. No doubt I will be asking further questions as time goes by. delighted to have found this forum.

email image
13 messages