Start a new thread

21 to 26 of 26 replies

After reading this link am I correct in my understanding that astrantia seeds do not need any covering or heat to propagate?  I have also tried to grow verbena bon., with no success, so trying again.  As v. bon. needs cold to break dormancy I assume they too will be treated the same as astrantia.

Fairygirl

Mary - I found Verb. bon very easy from seed, but I did them in late spring/early summer.  

Meant to say - as nut said , astrantias (like Verb. bons)  will seed by themselves too, but they'll  simply sit through winter and germinate when ready. They don't need extra warmth. 

Last edited: 02 October 2017 19:34:05

Thanks Fairygirl.,........I tried both during the Spring and I didn't get a single seedling, very unusual, but I did have them covered.  Trying this time of the year without cover...........hopefully will get seedlings in the Spring.

nutcutlet

I set astrantia in autumn, outside. I generally bring the overwintering seed pots into the cold GH around February. this might be more for my benefit than theirs. I also bring things in when they germinate, no heat, just shelter from the worst of the wet and pecking birds.

verbena about February in the cold GH

I use gritty compost and some more grit on top of the seeds, it stops them getting washed out or growing mould/algae/other undesirables

Last edited: 02 October 2017 22:25:56

Advertisement

Thanks Nutcutlet........... must remember to buy some grit.