London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 26°C / 16°C
15 messages
15/07/2013 at 18:31

Hi All,

First of all, I am a complete novice to grass and gardening. Moved into a new house and it had a fair amount of daisies and weeds, so I brought evergreen 4 in 1 and applied it to front and back garden.

Unfortuanetly I think I have applied too much, so I applied it Tuesday last week in daytime, then watered 2 days later on Thursday evening, I have since watered on Sunday. It will be 7 days tomorrow since first applied and there are a lot of black patches which look burnt, there is also a lot of powder sitting on top of various weeds and patches on the grass, I would have thought this would have washed away with watering, but no luck after 2 waters, I will also be watering again tonight. 

I'm scared to let my young daughter play in the garden as not sure if safe, it says keep kids and pets off until watered in, but as I say I think I hae applied miles too much, hence why burnt and not going away! 

Any advice appreciated.

Dan

15/07/2013 at 18:37

It says any blackening of the grass is temporary.

http://www.lovethegarden.com/system/files/user-files/product/label/01-13/eg-complete-label.pdf

Does any of info in the link, ease your mind ?!?!

15/07/2013 at 19:23

Hi Dan,

Sounds like its working a treat. The black patches will remain for a while (perhaps a month) then gradually give way to new grass. I did my front lawn about 2 months ago and it's now looking much better. Keep watering and be patient. You'll be amazed how quickly the existing grass grows when it kicks in. Very lush and green.

It's one of those things that looks much worse before it looks better. 

Gareth.

15/07/2013 at 20:27
Hi I.m a newbie to the forum and very green about gardening (excuse the pun !! ) not sure how to put a question to the forum even so here goes nothing .... I was given a cutting 2 years ago and told it was a lilac tree . I potted it in a huge container and it has grown 10 foot however the leaves are tiny compared to a lilac tree and leaf edges are very slightly serrated - at the end of each branch are a pair of what looks like tiny green acornlike fruits.? about 3 cm long ? I am totally flummoxed as to what this tree cutting is and I showed a picture to the person who gave it to me and she's as confused as me - it is deciduous and looks healthy but remains a mystery !! Has anyone got a clue from my description ?
15/07/2013 at 20:33

Hi Kazza54 - if you go to the 'front page' of the forum and click on 'start new thread' button on the right hand side, you will be able to put your question out under its own title, so the replies will be directly concerning your mystery tree.  If you can take a digital photo of it it would really help - you upload it by clicking the picture of a tree at the top of the box you put your question in.  Bit garbled I know, easy to do when you get the hang but difficult to explain.  I have absolutely no idea what your mystery plant might be, but some genius will know.

15/07/2013 at 20:37
Thanks Sara 4 just found the new thread button and I'll try to send piccy now ! Thanks for the help Kazza54
15/07/2013 at 20:49

Dan, just keep lawn well watered for next few days at least.  If you had a lot of moss in it, it will turn black.  

16/07/2013 at 13:34

Thanks for the responses guys, thought I was supposed to get email notifications when someone responds!

Appreciate all the feedback, will keep watering heavily. Do you think its ok to go on the grass and let the kids play. Been watered several times since putting on now.

16/07/2013 at 14:19

Hi Dan. Don't wory - the email thing isn't working very well so you're better just following the threads you've posted on 

Grass will probably be fine but just be aware that the more it's used the longer it'll take to recover! It's always tricky at this time of year because of lack of rain - we're even having problems up here in Scotland as it's been unusually dry  - but you can give the grass a bit of a boost later on in the year again anyway, and then next spring. It's grass - it recovers!

17/07/2013 at 18:18

Thanks.

Am I right in saying it would be a bad idea to put a 6 man tent on the grass, whilst the evergreen complete is working its magic, my partner has suggested some guests we have staying over on Saturday night could sleep there for a family gathering. 

I don't want to do this if its going to damage grass or prevent growth etc. 

Appreicate any feedback.

17/07/2013 at 18:47

Dan- it's grass - it'll recover! I thinkit's easy to get a bit precious about grass, but it's there to be used - so just go for it! Unless you're trying to cultivate a bowling green I wouldn't worry too much. Enjoy it - and the good weather while it's there - first bit of rain and it'll come back to life anyway, and as I said - you can always give it some more tlc later in the year! 

26/07/2013 at 18:30

Thanks Fairygirl, you're right, it is just grass, we had the tent up and all is well, grass is actually looking a lot better, however I stll have some patches which have no grass and are rather black and burnt, I suspect this is where I have applied too much, anything I can do on here? 

26/07/2013 at 18:34

Huya dan, yes resow those patches.  Scratch lawn surface, sow seed and cover with thin layer of,soil or compost.  Keep well watered until grass is growing well

26/07/2013 at 22:41

Thanks Verdun.

When you say resow. Is that with evegreen complete? Or just a grass seed. Sorry am new to this game! 

26/07/2013 at 22:49

With grass seed.  If there are any bare patches (where the moss has turned black) do as Verdun suggested so that weeds don't have a chance to establish.  I would rake out the black (burnt) patches first.  

email image
15 messages