London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
21 to 40 of 48 messages
30/05/2013 at 11:24
Lokelani wrote (see)

I think a root barrier maybe the only answer. Not all neighbours can be bothered to  resolve problems they are causing, if it costs them time or money! 

We get bindweed under the fence from one neighbour & ground elder & bamboo from the other! 

We have twice tried emptying the borders, digging every trace of root (or so we thought) out before replanting. Pointless, as others have said. Loads of the weeds still pop up & more grows under.

The funny thing is both sides have well manicured looking gardens with paid gardeners, who obvioulsy only tend the front of the border & what goes on at the back or behind the shrubs gets ignored! 

I get so fed up with glyphosate looking like it hasn't worked, or it raining, or being too windy to apply, it needing to dry before the dog can go out... I now just tend to pull them out when I see them. 

It seems so unjust that we will probably end up putting root barriers along all the fences both sides at our expense when they should be our neighbours problems, but that's life.

Or back to the glyphosate. Beware of strengthening the concentrate, that can apparently just kill the plant before it has time to take it all the way down to the roots, so is counterproductive. 

hmm thanks for the tip on the glyphosphate, I didn't know that, mind, I've not really had any docks or dandys back in the same place. Brambles and bindweed always regrow, but I'm thinking due to extensive root systems rather than overpowering the concentrate.

30/05/2013 at 11:34

Hiya,

All I can say is mix up a solution of glysophate in a jar & paint it on the leaves you will have to persist with this & I can understand how frustrating this is for you, it will eventaly work but it takes time, one of the garden's I do has 2 achers of bind weed  & I'm slowly winning!! what ever you do don't dig it it all just regrows!

good luck

nin
30/05/2013 at 12:06

I have a huge problem with bindweed (back garden) and japanese knot weed front garden. I have had membrane and bark chips down on the far end of the back garden 30 foot plus length for nearly ten years , pulled up this year to build a veg bed and also pulled up 4-10 metre lengths of bindweed under the membrane was thick with root all on the surface under the membrane.

I tried diluted roundup double strength great on stingers and knot weed not so good on the bindweed (bindweed just looks yellowie green instead of bright green).

I have now dug out to about a foot deep where my veg beds will go filled with semi rotted horse manure sieved soil back on top topped up with a 4 inch layer goat manure and straw and topped with 5-6 inches new top soil rotted manure mix.

My hope is any left bindweed will hit the semi rotted manure and not like it (burn) and the veg plants will not hit the manure until it has rotted further.

In another area a month later dug to a foot deep and sieved only and added top soil and placed a barrier in ground 8 inches deep to block plants from neighbour this second area is coming back in less than 2 weeks.

I used to have a lovely garden 10 years ago but had to give up because of bindweed and going back to work just not enough time to clear the stuff it comes through from under neighbours beloved fir tree hedge , which he cant get under to clear, he is very old and independent .

I think the only good thing about being made redundant and the poor job market might be that i get on top of my bind weed.

01/06/2013 at 10:51

Thank you for all the answers.

I know one plant in the pics shown is ivy. this comes over from the neighbour too! but unlike the bindweed, I do like the ivy, but cut it back does it does not spread to much!

The pics are poissibly not the most persuading ones, as I have cleared the bindweed, but not the ivy

But as some of you have pointed out already, the bindweed is visibly on the pic which shows the garden of the neighbour.

I ordered this glysophate stick for now, if this is not succesfull I am going for the concentrate self-made gloopy glue option, some have mentioned.

I do not mind digging out and applying glysophate over and over again, if I know one day in future it will be gone!

Living on a terraced house, I do not want to pick a fight with the neighbours and asmentioned already, even if I would talk to them, I do not think they will mind the bindweed.

They pull it all off on the surface once a year, put it in black bin bags, which are afterwards piling up in the garden! Even too lazy to take out the bin bags that folks!

01/06/2013 at 10:55

Also I will next time digging the roots out, open them up and put the glysophate directly on there!

With all your help and advice I am very positive now, I will win the battle

Thank you!

01/06/2013 at 13:21

Morning Kleeblatt

Dont bother with the glyphosate stick.  Its not,very effective I think.  

Spraying 3 or even 4 times from spring to September will kill,bindweed

Nin, persevere with glyphosate.  Diggimg merely spreads the bindweed roots. When you spray you need 5 to 6 hours of dry weather....if it rains within that time your bindweed will not be killed.  Also I find cloudy weather much better too...maybe sunshine evaporates the chemical.

02/06/2013 at 01:47

Do not dilute glyphosate incorrectly.  If too weak it will not work.  If too strong it is a waste of your money and your time doing the spraying.  The manufacturer has worked out the optimum strength.  Ignoring the directions is just plain silly.

02/06/2013 at 07:22

The problem with spraying, if the bindweed is in your flower border, is that it's likely to get onto the plants. Glyphosate gel will allow you to get hit the binweed and not the plants. It worked very well on my bondweed. Apart from vinegar it's the only weedkiller I use now.

Re the Knotweed, see http://www.environment-agency.gov.uk/homeandleisure/wildlife/130079.aspx

02/06/2013 at 09:20

having read this i will take heed.. i have it coming form both neighbours.. one side a wild jungle and the fence is coming down covered in ivy.. which is great for butterflies bu not good for us and we have propped it up many times.. now my hedge is onlything holding it up.

and the other side just stuck down membrane and bark..but not very well.. and it comes throu over myside.. along with brambles and groudn elder.. i spend more time sorting that out than on my own garden itself..

kleebatt.. taht is good idea.. will remember to do that to the roots when i dig them up..

02/06/2013 at 09:30

Just watched A-Z of TV gardening where Christine Walkden has done a piece on Knotweed. If you have iplayer you should be able to watch it. Needs immediately tackling, otherwise it's a nightmare plant

02/06/2013 at 12:44

What you need is a non selective weed killer.its systemic and kills the plant to the roots but be careful as it will kill anything that it gets on.

Bill

02/06/2013 at 13:04

Read up on ammonium sulfamate, that`s all i can say.  

02/06/2013 at 14:48

This is what I read in a gardening book ,a very early Readers Digest  edition . I have kept it in reserve . It is for getting rid of bindweed . this is what they said : Dig a deepish Channel along the fence slot in something like thin sheet metal .Keep the soil away from this Channel . as each bit of bindweed starts comming through give it a spurt of weed killer . the weedkiller goes back to the roots and eventuly the weed is nomore .

Now as I say this was in an early edition but you could use an equivelant to metal sheeting and it does sound a good idea for such as bindweed. With the ivy you might get to know at a garden center. I find ,that cutting it off  just encourages it .

Keep the forum informed - I have read only the first  couple of pages here and you have had some good suggestions .

03/06/2013 at 09:32

here is part of the ivy covered fence of next door.. behind it is the poor ash trees and an apple tree that is swapped by it..

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24653.jpg?width=289&height=350&mode=max

it is driving me mad.. and it is onyl my bay hedge that is holding their fend up and our yew tree further up holding up their fircone tree.. have asked them several times to sort it out but nothing.

03/06/2013 at 09:47

will try that picture again so u can enlarge it better.

http://i1015.photobucket.com/albums/af278/bubbling_bubble_bee/ivywall_zpsa2192eef.jpg

hope this is better

03/06/2013 at 17:47

Now that is a ****-ton of bindweed. Dry day. Big bucket of diluted glyphosate. Unwind the bindweed as far down as you can get it, draw it out from the fence and trail its growing ends into the bucket. Leave it there all day. It may look fine two weeks later, but two months later it should be dead. You may have to go along a section at a time.

Ivy's glossy and the stuff'll just run off it onto the plants below. I've had near-enough success just ripping ivy out with my fingers. You don't have to get it all, just all of it between within 6 inches of the ground. You could try painting the broken stem ends at ground level with glyphosate to get the roots too.

04/06/2013 at 09:59

@cahrlie.. many thanks for that.. hard to believe there is a six foot high fence under that.. it goes all the way down to the side of the house so runs for about 42ft. and all looking like that.. i have even offered to go round and cut it at grown level their side but told htey would do it.. but not yet so far..

i dont mind it to a degree as the butterflies love it and we have had many more the last fews years i have let it grow.. but it is a swine to cut back as my plants are underneath and get damaged at times when doing it.

but i may try roughing up the leaves and using the glyphoste on them then.

03/08/2013 at 09:49

I read about the problems with japanese knotweed. that's really scary!

problem with the bindweed is, though: i can't spray it, as it is on the neighbour's side, growing there every year more and more, as they do not remove it!

I think, I'll call the council, just to enquire, whether they are obliged to keep it away from my garden and if sth can be done about it.

apart from it, we might go the drastic route of building a wall there and remove the wood cladded fence!

i hope it is not going to be too expensive!

03/08/2013 at 12:45

The problem with spraying the bindweed is its relatively low concentration that doesn’t affect the entire root system on a large plant, therefore weakening it but not readily killing it.

By putting glyphosate solution in a clear container in the sun, the bindweed absorbs the solution as it photosynthesizes (there was an old test when people didn’t understand plants growing, they had plants in water in light and dark rooms, the plants in the light absorbed water) and this means you basically overdose the plant and it is incredibly effective!

03/08/2013 at 14:05

Gardeningfantic - we had ivycovered fences like that all around our garden when we moved here two years ago next week!  And it went up the ash trees and to the eaves of our house.  Underneath the fences were rotten and part of one fell down when we had some heavy rain 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28705.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28706.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

we cut it down, filled heaven knows how many skips, dug the roots out by hand, had new fences erected, and this was the same place this summer 

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/28707.jpg?width=307&height=350&mode=max

This is the same spot nearly two years later.  

We didn't spray the ivy off - as I said we cut it down and dug it out.  Now if a shoot appears I pull/dig/hack it out.

21 to 40 of 48 messages