Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

help: bindweed is coming over from neighbour!

I am not sure if there is any solution rather than digging out the roots which come over every year into my flower beds. But it is rellay frustrating as I have an area where I absolutely cannot plant anything! I thought of putting some natural stone tiles there with some ornaments on, remove it every year and dig the stuff out to avoid it spreading across my flower beds. Does anyone have any advice, what else I could do?

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

It's a difficult one but I think the weedkiller route is best. Bruise the foliage and apply and be ready to re apply as and when required. Digging often breaks the roots which just form new plants if you don't remove every tiny piece. I'd forget about planting anything there this year.Then keep a watchful eye and the weedkiller close at hand! You could always group some pots there for the time being to disguise the area.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...
  • KleeblattKleeblatt Posts: 52

Hi Fairygirl, thanks for your answer. Weedkiller does not really help for this weed! I tried this in the very beginning when we moved in here.

That is why I had the idea, to put slabs there and did it out once in a while.

And yes pots I have there sometimes too image

I just find it frustrating, does the neighbour not need to take care that it does not come over to me? It alos would grow every year over the wooden fence and when they then start to remove it (only on the surface, though) they pull so hard on the fence that every year the fence is loosing more of the trellies!

I am no sure if the fence belongs to our property or theirs, but if it is ours, in effect they damage our property, no?

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Maybe you should try to have a friendly chat with your neighbour,he may not be aware of how much a problem this is to you.

You can find out who owns a party fence by checking the deeds to your property.

• quercus_ruburquercus_rubur Posts: 334

Glyphosate Gel works. I had some in a garden I moved into. I initally painted every leaf I saw then as soon as I saw a new one emerge I'd paint that as well. It took 3 yrs to get rid of totally, but it worked.

Wish they still did the gel with the paintbrush instead of that stupid cover. 

It is indeed a very big problem for me!

I am not sure whether a friendly chat will help, as the property is rented out, obviously as a house share. The people who live there are sometimes in the garden, but do not rellay use it. They do not even maw the lawn! And I do not know, who the landlord is.

The deeds are also tricky, as when we exchanged, as far as I rememberit was not clear which borders belong to our property, but I will double-check.

This Glyphosate Gel sounds like a solution. Does it work on dandelions too image

• fred#60fred#60 Posts: 58

Glyphosate based weedkiller is the way forward, the higher % of glyphosate the better. I`m lucky i have a little left of some now banned glyphosate ( turns the leaves in less than a day)

• GillyLGillyL Posts: 1,077

Perhaps go to Gov.uk there is a form there you can use to find out property title for next door and also property boundaries who owns what.

@ GillyL: I will def do that, when I feel that the fence needs replacing, but I also might build up a wall there. Then they can do what they want in their garden!

'Cos the next problem is, that I possibly build a little-lean to next to our garden door (like a conservatory for poor people, lol, but I can leave plants in there over winter and use it as a greenhouse for germinating) and it would be exactly where the weed comes over. In essence, if I do not build a brick wall there, I am unable to put the lean-to there, as then I would not even be able to reach the weed anymore and the possibility to get rid of it would be eliminated!

I will post some pics of the problem, when one can go outside againimage

• bigolobbigolob Posts: 127

I had this problem last year due to the owner next door no longer being able to tend his garden. The Convolvulous invaded my garden wrapping itself around my herbacious plants, shrubs and just about every other thing it could reach through and under the fence.

I got rid of the problem by untying all the Convolvulous stems from my plants, placing them with their roots still attached in a pile and `blasted` them with Weedol systemic weed killer - called "Weedol which kills the roots of weeds" (or words to that effect). The whole infection (sorry to use a Medical term) was removed within 1 week and all the Convolvulous stems were dead both on my side and his.

• FairygirlFairygirl Posts: 55,117

I wonder if you could also dig down to make a slit trench and create a physical barrier of slabs? I don't find Roundup in any form particularly effective and for a serious problem I've used Resolva which is very fast acting although a bit dearer. As bigolob says if you untie stems you can get into them properly. A common trick is to  put a cane in the ground at  a more accessible spot and then let the stems twine themselves around that, then you can tackle them more easily. It's stopping the problem reoccurring which is your real issue and I would agree with previous replies about finding out urgently who owns the fence.

It's a place where beautiful isn't enough of a word....

I live in west central Scotland - not where that photo is...