London (change)
Today 15°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 9°C
1 to 20 of 47 messages
27/05/2013 at 20:32

I am not sure if there is any solution rather than digging out the roots which come over every year into my flower beds. But it is rellay frustrating as I have an area where I absolutely cannot plant anything! I thought of putting some natural stone tiles there with some ornaments on, remove it every year and dig the stuff out to avoid it spreading across my flower beds. Does anyone have any advice, what else I could do?

27/05/2013 at 20:57

It's a difficult one but I think the weedkiller route is best. Bruise the foliage and apply and be ready to re apply as and when required. Digging often breaks the roots which just form new plants if you don't remove every tiny piece. I'd forget about planting anything there this year.Then keep a watchful eye and the weedkiller close at hand! You could always group some pots there for the time being to disguise the area.

28/05/2013 at 09:39

Hi Fairygirl, thanks for your answer. Weedkiller does not really help for this weed! I tried this in the very beginning when we moved in here.

That is why I had the idea, to put slabs there and did it out once in a while.

And yes pots I have there sometimes too

I just find it frustrating, does the neighbour not need to take care that it does not come over to me? It alos would grow every year over the wooden fence and when they then start to remove it (only on the surface, though) they pull so hard on the fence that every year the fence is loosing more of the trellies!

I am no sure if the fence belongs to our property or theirs, but if it is ours, in effect they damage our property, no?

28/05/2013 at 14:37

Maybe you should try to have a friendly chat with your neighbour,he may not be aware of how much a problem this is to you.

You can find out who owns a party fence by checking the deeds to your property.

28/05/2013 at 14:44

Glyphosate Gel works. I had some in a garden I moved into. I initally painted every leaf I saw then as soon as I saw a new one emerge I'd paint that as well. It took 3 yrs to get rid of totally, but it worked.

Wish they still did the gel with the paintbrush instead of that stupid cover. 

28/05/2013 at 14:56

It is indeed a very big problem for me!

I am not sure whether a friendly chat will help, as the property is rented out, obviously as a house share. The people who live there are sometimes in the garden, but do not rellay use it. They do not even maw the lawn! And I do not know, who the landlord is.

The deeds are also tricky, as when we exchanged, as far as I rememberit was not clear which borders belong to our property, but I will double-check.

This Glyphosate Gel sounds like a solution. Does it work on dandelions too

28/05/2013 at 14:58

Glyphosate based weedkiller is the way forward, the higher % of glyphosate the better. I`m lucky i have a little left of some now banned glyphosate ( turns the leaves in less than a day)

28/05/2013 at 15:05

Perhaps go to Gov.uk there is a form there you can use to find out property title for next door and also property boundaries who owns what.

28/05/2013 at 15:24

@ GillyL: I will def do that, when I feel that the fence needs replacing, but I also might build up a wall there. Then they can do what they want in their garden!

'Cos the next problem is, that I possibly build a little-lean to next to our garden door (like a conservatory for poor people, lol, but I can leave plants in there over winter and use it as a greenhouse for germinating) and it would be exactly where the weed comes over. In essence, if I do not build a brick wall there, I am unable to put the lean-to there, as then I would not even be able to reach the weed anymore and the possibility to get rid of it would be eliminated!

I will post some pics of the problem, when one can go outside again

28/05/2013 at 15:50

I had this problem last year due to the owner next door no longer being able to tend his garden. The Convolvulous invaded my garden wrapping itself around my herbacious plants, shrubs and just about every other thing it could reach through and under the fence.

I got rid of the problem by untying all the Convolvulous stems from my plants, placing them with their roots still attached in a pile and `blasted` them with Weedol systemic weed killer - called "Weedol which kills the roots of weeds" (or words to that effect). The whole infection (sorry to use a Medical term) was removed within 1 week and all the Convolvulous stems were dead both on my side and his.

28/05/2013 at 17:53

I wonder if you could also dig down to make a slit trench and create a physical barrier of slabs? I don't find Roundup in any form particularly effective and for a serious problem I've used Resolva which is very fast acting although a bit dearer. As bigolob says if you untie stems you can get into them properly. A common trick is to  put a cane in the ground at  a more accessible spot and then let the stems twine themselves around that, then you can tackle them more easily. It's stopping the problem reoccurring which is your real issue and I would agree with previous replies about finding out urgently who owns the fence.

28/05/2013 at 18:02

Glyphosate does and will work to eradicate bind weed.  Spray at first signs then spray any new re growth and watch out for, amd spray, anything that comes again.  It's not really a difficult weed to get rid of.  Remember dry weather is required for almost 6 hours or so and cloudy comditions better than sunshine.

28/05/2013 at 21:11

I buy the concentrated glyphosphate that makes say 15 litres. I think it's resolvor or something. Instead of mixing 10ml in a litre and using a spray, I mix 10 ml with 100ml of water in an old marg pot. I then use a small artist brush to apply to the weed leaves. The trick is to be vigilant, granted, against bigger docks and dandy's and bindweed bramble, it doesn't kill it immediately. BUT, it puts them on the back foot. With things like bindweed and bramble, very very tough to dig out. If you get it when it starts to sprout, then I apply every month or so, make sure it's dry for 12 hrs after application, you will control it. I'm finding in my third year here, there's very few bit's coming up now, so I think I'm winning! (BTW it's coming from next door too!)

29/05/2013 at 13:12

here are the pictures:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24242.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

behind our fence

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24243.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

our fence, trellis broken already

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/24244.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

area where I am unable to plant anything

29/05/2013 at 18:28

Kleeblatt, that`s not Bindweed (Convolvulous) It`s IVY!

29/05/2013 at 19:15

Only way you can get rid of that is to keep cutting it at the base. dreadful stuff, ivy. but we are now winning our battle ater 3 years of cutting down and pulling up. 

Weed killer doesn't really have much effect on ivy.

29/05/2013 at 21:47

Click on the actual picture, you can see close up it is actually bindweed Kleeblatt is talking about, on the trellis, it's poking through! 

Personally I think ivy is a great asset. Bees love it, birds nest in it, however you can keep the bindweed!

29/05/2013 at 22:41

I see both ivy and bindweed. Leaf-absorbtion weedkiller like any glyphosate product will do nothing against ivy. It's too damn glossy and the stuff just rolls off it. On bindweed, though, it works. I got really fed up with the stuff in my hedge laughing at my attempts to kill it with correctly-diluted gylphosate bought as a concentrate from Homebase and had a word with a friend, who gave me some correctly-diluted glyphosate bought as a concentrate somewhere else. He gave me one of those mixed nuts jars (the ones that say "GO NUTS" in 72-point font in three places, "mixed nuts" in 24-point font in four places, "nuts" in 12-point font in a dozen places in the ingredients list and "warning: contains nuts" in 6-point font at the bottom edge of the label  ) half-filled with the stuff, and after assaults on various problem weeds I put what was left on a plastic bag on the lawn, unwound the bindweed from the hedge and dipped it in, then left it there for an hour in sunshine. This year: no bindweed in that hedge. I'm not sure what's different about the stuff he gave me. Maybe it was the rather extreme dosing method that did the trick and maybe Homebase are selling a dud product. I don't think they're selling a total dud, because it's done a respectable number on the giant hogweed threat that justified its purchase and that stuff's stubborn.

29/05/2013 at 23:31

Easy one for you tbh, buy some good quality anti weed ground covering. Prob best to buy online, get a 50 metre roll for around 60 quid with a good thickness. Go next door and tramp the whole area jump up and down as much as possible break as much as you can. Next spray with bush killer, leave dry a few days, obviously do this when no rain for a couple of days. Then whack the anti-weed membrane down and hold it down with bricks etc anything in the garden, particular attention to the edges. If you can talk to the landlord, he may well pay for all this then a nice gravel to go on top. Get the tennants to help spread it, maybe landlord can knock a few quid of that months rent. He'll be happy that back garden is sorted so can charge more and little to no maintenance, and you'll be happy because you aren't fighting a losing battle. It's a hard course to take, but if you own your property, the only one that will give you peace of mind.

30/05/2013 at 10:11

I think a root barrier maybe the only answer. Not all neighbours can be bothered to  resolve problems they are causing, if it costs them time or money! 

We get bindweed under the fence from one neighbour & ground elder & bamboo from the other! 

We have twice tried emptying the borders, digging every trace of root (or so we thought) out before replanting. Pointless, as others have said. Loads of the weeds still pop up & more grows under.

The funny thing is both sides have well manicured looking gardens with paid gardeners, who obvioulsy only tend the front of the border & what goes on at the back or behind the shrubs gets ignored! 

I get so fed up with glyphosate looking like it hasn't worked, or it raining, or being too windy to apply, it needing to dry before the dog can go out... I now just tend to pull them out when I see them. 

It seems so unjust that we will probably end up putting root barriers along all the fences both sides at our expense when they should be our neighbours problems, but that's life.

Or back to the glyphosate. Beware of strengthening the concentrate, that can apparently just kill the plant before it has time to take it all the way down to the roots, so is counterproductive. 

1 to 20 of 47 messages