London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
06/03/2014 at 13:20

Flossie Flo says 'bark' She sits by my feet when I'm on the computer, growling every time someone dares to walk down the street.

06/03/2014 at 15:37

bump

06/03/2014 at 16:05

I've been round and labelled all my hellebores with a description so I can collect seed when ripe. That should be at around the right time but I'm sure it can be sent on if not ready

06/03/2014 at 16:28

I'm sure there is no "right" time frame Nutty as people's gardens will dry out at difference rates depending on where they are. I forsee this thread (or ones similar) remaining high on the board for months if not a year yet.

It is however wonderful to see you going to this effort to help others.

06/03/2014 at 16:37

It's not going to be a quick fix for sure.

06/03/2014 at 16:44

I'd love to see these make over shows that seem to fill day time television (inbetween the shows about sleeping with your partners brother or having six children by the time you're 23) get in on the action and offer to do over a few gardens in such a way as to show others how you can achieve a bit of a quick fix to please the eye and heart in pots and such like while the land itself recovers.

06/03/2014 at 16:49

good idea Clarington. Maybe someone will take it up

06/03/2014 at 16:50

That's a good idea, Clarington!  Would someone like to post a suggestion on one of the makeover show websites to see if there are any takers?  (I've already nagged the BBC a couple of times (GQT and GW) so they might be a bit bored with me now...).

06/03/2014 at 17:36

Clarington........lovely idea...........if the 6 children are old enough they could do the labouring work and they'd be "on Telly" too........can't beat that

Sadly,  most "makeover" programmes whether house or garden seem to have to be done within a short timescale  and have instant wow factor........seriously flooded/contaminated gardens probably wouldn't have that much appeal for the programme makers these days. 

OTOH, I'd be delighted to be proved wrong (just feeling glum)

After a couple of dry days, it has been raining here most of the day again - my garden is bad but I cannot begin to imagine how those flooded out of their houses and their gardens must feel.

On behalf of Somerset, I think you are all really nice thoughtful people

06/03/2014 at 17:37

Bump for Flossie Flo

06/03/2014 at 18:13

Philippa. I agree with Rosie, we should really bombard these gardening programmes with requests for how to deal with flooded/contaminated soil. At what point will it be safe for them to grow veg again?

When I lived in London, we were about 1 or 2 miles from Hogarth roundabout, the busiest roundabout in Europe apparently (though I find that hard to believe - Hammersmith is far worse) and my lovely neighbour who was an RHS member had his soil tested for lead pollution and it came out ok.

The gardeners in the affected areas need to know how to test their soil and what to test it for, especially if they have been affected by sewerage as inevitably they will have.

06/03/2014 at 18:38

Have you seen what's just come in as a new thread?

Ask Alan 

We can start there.

06/03/2014 at 18:54

Just done that

06/03/2014 at 18:54

Bump Flossie Flo

07/03/2014 at 08:22

bump

07/03/2014 at 09:51

Bump from Pongo the puppy to Flossie Flo

Edd
07/03/2014 at 10:57
artjak wrote (see)

At what point will it be safe for them to grow veg again?

The gardeners in the affected areas need to know how to test their soil and what to test it for, especially if they have been affected by sewerage as inevitably they will have.

artjak, you will be amazed at how fast the good bacteria and worms will neutralize the sewage contamination.They kill off harmful bacteria and pathogens, fast.  Any chemical spillage into the soil is a whole different matter though.

Lyn
07/03/2014 at 11:06

Does chemical spillage include toilet cleansers, dish washing tablets, biological soap powders etc. These have also surfaced with the sewage.

Edd
07/03/2014 at 11:17

Hi Lyn.

Lyn wrote (see)

Does chemical spillage include toilet cleansers, dish washing tablets, biological soap powders etc. These have also surfaced with the sewage.

Dish washing tablets, biological soap powders/washing liquids will not harm the soil. Toilet cleaner will but it is probably so diluted that i hope it will have very little effect.

The enzyme in biological soap powders break down very fast as they are/were living. Bleach is biodegradable it breaks down into oxygen

07/03/2014 at 12:12

The good news (at least for the Somerset flood victims) is that we've been offered the free help and advice of the gardenadvice.com website - they've provided advice to flood recovery internationally so they are really well-placed to advise. 

R