London (change)
Today 15°C / 12°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 12°C
10/03/2014 at 01:07

My seeds will be in the post tomorrow as well.

10/03/2014 at 01:27

Great, Pinkqurtet. Can't wait, it'll be like waiting for all the kids presents to arrive before xmas! I do it all online, hate shopping. It's lovely to order them, wait for them, get them, then get excited about giving them! This time it will be lots of surprises for ME before I give them! Can't get much better than that. The only thing is that I won't see peoples faces at the other end, once they get them, although I think they will be even happier at the thought that has gone in by so many strangers, than what they actually get.

You might still be first. I'll let you know whose land on the mat first

10/03/2014 at 11:21

Lots of seeds on their way 

10/03/2014 at 11:56

I said I'd try to post a few pictures of the gardens that we are going to be helping... a lot are still under water but here is one that has just emerged.  Not a pretty sight.

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/39223.jpg?width=228&height=294&mode=max

Edd
10/03/2014 at 12:03

A lot of work to do there Rosie. Good luck.

Had to laugh at the wind surfing board. Sorry. 

10/03/2014 at 12:06

Yes indeed!  No telling which bit of Somerset that has floated in from!

10/03/2014 at 14:11

Rosie, that is truely dreadful. There is so much work involved here.

10/03/2014 at 14:37

That and the mess the houses are in must be a nightmare for the people my heart goes out to them if i lived nearer i would help more so with the elderly. It's going to take a good bit of time to get things back to normal. Instead of our country sending money all over the world for everybody else let's start at home looking after our own first. After all they are the one's that has paid into this countries fund's all their working life's sorry rant over.

10/03/2014 at 14:40

I agree so much Andy......don't get me going on that one!!!    Such a shame and just as well there are people willing to help, those running this country should be ashamed  Rant over!

10/03/2014 at 19:41

bumping!

10/03/2014 at 22:18

It must be absolutely heartbreaking for them. I've asked our local C of E here in France if they could do some fundraising for them, England for a change, always fund raising for abroad. Don't yet know if they will.

11/03/2014 at 02:52

Bloody hell, Rosie! What can our seeds do in tackling that?

Andy, do not get me started. Billions of pounds raised and sent abroad, yet we are massively in debt and our elderly and many kids struggle. There will be no money to help our own flood victims. It went abroad to help others, and whilst I do not begrudge money to anyone in trouble, should not Charity begin at home?

So much for my simple BUMP

11/03/2014 at 06:52

Actually folks, I have to say that one of the things which has touched me most throughout this crisis has been the generosity of people from outside of Somerset in offering their help.  This includes fantastic input from the Sikh community from all over the country, teams of volunteers turning up to offer whatever help they can; and these are people with no connection to the local community (let's face it, a turban on the Somerset levels is a rare thing indeed!).  Their values say that humanity is all one, and that we should help each other because we are all part of the human race, whoever and wherever we are.  I've been really moved by that.  And that's just one example of many (including the fantastic response from this message board).  So I'm very reluctant to say that this country should divert money from foreign aid for any reason - that seems to fly in the face of the generosity of complete outsiders who have been so willing to help us when we needed it.

And yes, GJ, it does look awful, doesn't it!  But there are still dozens of pairs of willing hands down there to help with the clean up, and all they need are the raw materials to do it with.  So we'll do our bit to give them that!

11/03/2014 at 07:54

Maybe some of the instant home improvement and ground force lot could get stuck in. There must be at least a series of tv progs there.

11/03/2014 at 10:05

Coffee break bump!

Lyn
11/03/2014 at 10:12

I suppose their insurance will cover new carpets kitchens and appliances but not the garden, maybe ruined lawn mowers but not plants and soil.

I cant see them being ready to set seeds and plant for quite a while yet, probably next season.

Maybe the seeds would be better distributed to willing growers as these people probably havent got their greenhouses up and running yet.

11/03/2014 at 10:20

Hi Lyn

Yes, that's the plan.  There are a team of local people sowing seeds to produce plants for troughs / tubs etc - to provide at least something for the worst affected gardens.  They have some tubs and planters donated, as well as compost, but are raising the plants themselves - they've cleared space in their own greenhouses and conservatories to go into plant-raising on industrial scale!  That is who we will be sending the seeds to.  All contributions gratefully received!

In addition, there are other gardens not so badly ruined;  indeed, some which have not been flooded but have been bulldozed to create flood defenses.  So it is possible that some seeds might go direct to those places. 

Rosie

Lyn
11/03/2014 at 10:24

Sounds brilliant!.

11/03/2014 at 11:17

bump

11/03/2014 at 18:07

gardenjeannie, just read your lovely post from yesterday. I was feeling quite low with a vile cold that is keeping me awake every night and you really cheered me up.

I have about 40 aubergines potted up and also peppers; ok they may not be any use this year, but I can sell 'em to raise funds