London (change)
Today 16°C / 14°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 8°C
20/03/2014 at 12:41

Thanks KEF!

20/03/2014 at 12:45

Lizzie, silly me, you are in Bath of course, aren't you!

Perhaps we could arrange a clever way to get your offerings to Somerset - I go back and forth along the M4 quite often so perhaps we could rendezvous at the junction if that suited you?  What do you think?

rosie

20/03/2014 at 17:56

Hi Rosie31,

That's a good idea, I only live about 7 miles off the J.18 (just below the racecourse in Upper Weston) so it's easy to get to from here and I'm retired so timing is immaterial - although I don't do early mornings!

When do you have in mind? If anybody else on this thread lives near me and can drop plants in, I could probably fit them in as well. Got an old Fiesta hatchback that's well-used to transporting plants.

Lizzie

20/03/2014 at 18:00

This is really brilliant that plants are now moving in a westerly direction

I have nothing large enough yet to be moved and planted out, but will have soon I hope.

20/03/2014 at 18:26

I think I mentioned before that I have a small trailer and can help transport plants, etc.

I am west of Bridgwater and, provided I know where I'm going, I could do some donkey work if and when.

20/03/2014 at 22:56

Hi, Folks. So sorry not to have been on all wk, work has been crackers, and the kids clubs, school play rehearsals and swimming later. Just been too tired and hitting my pit early.

I'm not quite swamped under a mountain of seeds, (some mixing of metaphors there, I think), but have had more. 

Thank you to

Rosie31, and thank you for the lovely card. Do you make cards, too?

Philippa smith2, some of those seeds look too pretty to sow. Are they all from your own plants?

KEF Did you go out and buy seeds specially to send?

Got your parcels this wk, now over 250 packets, and now more veg. There are seeds of plants I have never heard of! I've made a list to look them up, as I can't file them otherwise!

As I've been sowing, I have added the seeds that are left, and have sown extra of everything in hopes of plant transport. So far lots of toms, some chillies, maybe onions. Sweet peas, Lots of fuchsia cuttings, some of the giant traily ones, and and upright that I use for standards but will grow as a bush. Flower seeds will be sown soon.

Daniel said he has had a rummage around the office and will be sending them soon.

I'll keep more up to date with you all in future, even if only on this thread when I'm busy. And, HA Ha, who mentioned being out in the garden? I wish! Had one nice day last wk, then 2 this week while I was working. Today the wind shredded the polythene covers on my beds, just as they were nice and warm and waiting for seeds. Now soggy and cold again. First day of Spring

21/03/2014 at 07:56

Gardenjeannie, you are more than wonderful!  Wow....250 packets of seed.  Did anyone think we'd do that when artjak started all this a few weeks ago?

This is a really, REALLY great forum.  I think you should all feel very proud of yourselves!

R

KEF
21/03/2014 at 08:13

Jeannie, yes I did. You mentioned lack of veg, so I selected ones that can be sown later in the year and will harvest in autumn and over winter. Also dates will be okay for a couple of years. When I checked my seeds a lot are beyond sow by date and might not all germinate but not that important for me I can just do extra.  Sorry about your polytunnel damage.

Big  to all who are doing & donating x

21/03/2014 at 08:54

In my experience, seeds often germinate even though they are passed their use-by date, except, I believe, parsnips.

I am so glad that it is all working so well

Jeannie, don't overdo it will you?

21/03/2014 at 09:25

Hi Jeannie, If you've got lots of seeds, perhaps it might be easier to send some down to the flooded out gardeners to sow, so that they can feel they're at least  getting on with something, while they are waiting for their soil to dry out.

Having said that, I've just posted some to you!

21/03/2014 at 09:26

A sunny morning bump to you all

21/03/2014 at 11:46

Lizzie - I'm going to be passing Junction 18 mid-afternoon on Tuesday - would that be a possibility for a rendezvous?  If so, I'll drop you a PM with my phone number and more details. 

I'm heading down to Dorset on Friday and have arranged to meet up with the local plant coordinator en route - so we have a plan to get Lizzie's plants to the flooded area, hurrah!

Philippa - thank you so much for the offer of help.  I think we've got a plan for Lizzie's plants, but in future it might not be so straightforward - could you perhaps be a staging post for plants-in-transit in future? I'm sure we can make this work if we all put our heads (and wheels) together....

Rosie

21/03/2014 at 15:37

bumping!

21/03/2014 at 15:57

Have a great weekend and I hope your plans go well for Tuesday.

21/03/2014 at 17:04

GJeanie......some of the seeds were bought but yes, most of the seeds were from my own plants ...........I've not bought many seeds this year because I am still battling with a badly neglected garden.  I've done nothing but prune and dig for 2 years and still have to keep everything in pots

Rosie............unfortunately, I have very little space available ( see above ) to take in many plants ...............depends on the time scale and the number of plants. I'd be mortified if they died on me However, I, my OH and our trailer are at your disposal if we can do something.  Sorry not to be more positive.  Oh, BTW, I also have plants to give too   

21/03/2014 at 17:06

Hey Philippa, that is VERY positive!  Thank you.  (And thanks to your OH as well!)

21/03/2014 at 19:01

That is so kind to offer your trailer and your time

21/03/2014 at 21:12

bump and night night!

21/03/2014 at 21:47

Hi Rosie27,

Thanks for your message Tuesday  afternoon any time will be okay with me so will await your PM. Have just spent some time labelling all the plants to go, got about two dozen or more I think,  all perennials/small shrub seedlings/layered plants and I'll see what else I can dig up over the weekend.

22/03/2014 at 13:02

Bump with a mention that we made it to the GW magazine! 

Well done to you all!