41 to 60 of 810 messages
15/02/2014 at 18:52

Ashamed to say I'm not good with seeds...except veg etc....but cuttings, small divisions, etc., I'm happy to make available.  

15/02/2014 at 21:08

Sorry, have been inundated with paperwork so could not reply to all these wonderful responses.

Verdun, Nut, Panda, and everyone else who has been so positive; yes of course it will be probably 3 months before anyone can plant in the worst hit areas.

Dove; I am thinking of Horticultural Societies/Gardening Clubs in the affected areas.

Brumbull; thank you for your input, but bear in mind that all veg produced as recently as the late19th early 20th century was manured with 'night soil'. As long as veg are VERY well washed, they should be ok.

Next week I will try to contact relevant organisations in the flooded areas; if anyone knows people in these places, please let me know.

We can all only grow the plants that we know and would normally grow; for me that is veg seedlings and some annual flowers. Though could do Pelagonium cuttings.

Let's get on with it

15/02/2014 at 22:18

Friends.  I do hope that I haven't upset anyone by my previous post.  I did say that I thought the idea was great etc, and certainly showing that shoulder to shoulder spirit. To date I have hd nothing via the scientific teams.  I note form a member's post.  Information that some enviromental samples etc have been taken and tested, resulting in high levels of bacteria over and above the usual levels, have been found.  Truly.  There would be something very strange had the tests showed, less bacteria.  Our planet has a wonderful way of getting over problems.  The gist of my original post was.  Hold fast to the idea of helping out.  Problem is.  No one has any absolute ided asto how long, even once the rain stops.  Just how long it will be, before the top couple of feet of soil, will be workable.  The matter of excess bacteria.  Anyone in the flodded areas should exercise extra care.  However once again the soil has it's own unique way of dealing with bacteria.  A brief point about plants etc.  We all know how we can kill a plant by overwatering, in the case of some plants water is best kept off the crown of the plant, otherwise it will rot.  Consider the scenario.  When these heavy rains and flooding began. For many of us.  Our plants were in a dormant state.  Enviromentally, very little harm can come to a plant in that state.  It has shut down for a period.  [I often wonder why some folks feed their bulbs and tubers etc, once the growth has died and the storage has closed down]  During that close-down period. The plant, bulb or whatever is no drawing in anything.  Back to the garden plants.  More than likely once the waters subside.  The old faithful perennials will once agin sprout forth. For most stock, a bit of a firming in will help.  The hardest hit will be the farmers.  Because their fields were already full of 'Growing ' plants.  It is these new plants that probably by this time, would have rotted.  So be prepared for shortages in the supermarkets and a hike in food prices. Returning again to folks who sadly have been flooded out.  I ask you all most sincerely.  If you personally were one of those victims.  Picture it.  Your home now stinks to high heaven due to the dirty water that has invaded your lifetime treasure.  Furniture etc is now only fit for the dump.  Please believe me.  I know you and I want to help, but please spare a thought.  Let's be honest.  There you are all washed up, heart broken.  Lost everything, and someone hands you packets of seeds or plants.  Be honest, what would your thoughts be.

That is why I say.  Great idea, loving thoughts and concern but, let's wait a while, until the great soakaway takes plce.  Let's examine the effects, then all chip together.  Probably this might be best done, by contacting local gardening clubs etc.

Once again friends.   My original post was well meant.

16/02/2014 at 08:56

Morning Mike

Always worth reading your posts.  

16/02/2014 at 09:07

we not haveing lighting for 2 days stoms been very bad

16/02/2014 at 09:09

Nudrev, so sorry to hear that - what a good job the sun's come out - you can charge up your solar-powered torch - you have got one of those haven't you?  We have, it's brilliant 

16/02/2014 at 09:14

we being using tourches and puting batterys on chargeing at night time we haveing not solar power but thanking you fore idea

16/02/2014 at 09:15

16/02/2014 at 14:04

I understand what Mike says. A packet of seeds is just a drop in the ocean-no pun intended. It's practical help these poor people will need to get homes in order  first and foremost. Yes I agree , I would be devastated to lose all my plants and have a ruined garden, but I would be tempted to wait and see what survives. My guess is that in some of these areas they have been used to mild flooding most winters so they probably tend to grow bog type plants that like their roots in the wet. I suppose it all depends on the length of time they are under water. 7 or 8 weeks so far and no sign of the relief of dry weather yet.

I'm all for sending plants when the time is right, but I think we are rather early making plans, as the drying out will take months, not weeks. Though it's a lovely idea, and is good to see us gardeners helping one another in their time of need.

16/02/2014 at 14:14

I don't think anyone's suggesting sending things just yet - as you say it may take months rather than weeks before gardens are ready to replant, but if we've got cuttings and divisions potted up and growing they'll be ready when the gardens are.  

So just now is the time to be making plans - we just need to remember that they may be long-term plans 

So really, if we're sowing seeds, perennials and biennials rather than annuals eh? 

I've pegged some clematis down to layer this morning - if someone wants them in a few months time that's great - if not I'll find a  use for them. 

17/02/2014 at 19:51

Actually, a packet of seeds was the last thing on my mind! What I am trying to achieve for the flooded gardens, where gardeners can't sow seeds now or over the next few months, is to provide them with the seedlings that they would normally have achieved by about May (hopefully their gardens will have dried out somewhat by then).

I think we, as a group can genuinely help gardeners whose earth has been saturated for weeks (plants need to 'breathe'; they can't do that underwater) and I think that being positive about helping them is more useful than being negative

17/02/2014 at 20:06

True. Positive is always better than negative

17/02/2014 at 20:08

Thanks Nut

KEF
17/02/2014 at 20:38

I've been looking at my stuff and some like Arundo Donax and Gunnera are water guzzlers. Might help in the future. Both can be dug up later in the year and potted but prob I'd have is to transport. So I thing forward planning is a must and ideas for a shuttle from A,to B to C to Somerset or wherever will be needed. I'm also happy to include BFB or funds to purchase some nearer final destination.

17/02/2014 at 20:47

KEF, most of my plants are for dryish comditions but am sure I can contribute something.....plants, money, etc.    As I said before people in those flooded areas won't know yet what will survive so best wait a while yet I think. 

Down here we are on a pasty support campaign......buying boxes of pasties to send to  Somerset sufferers.  

I think the full effect of the storms will be felt many weeks from now

KEF
17/02/2014 at 21:02

Sure they will Verdun, sadly maybe months / years. 

Idea with my Arundo Donax is that it grows quickly and does give wind shelter and if not needed long term it isn't too bad to dig out. The birds also rip bits off it as nesting material, and it can be used in Autumn as strong canes, even laid on grass to walk across...crickey I'm amazing, just thought of that and I'm here saying I can't walk on my lawn.

I was just wanting to do some of my own forward planning and get neighbour used to idea that he might have more pots to water when I go on hols

KEF
17/02/2014 at 21:53

I've been thinking, never a good thing.

I wonder if we could "adopt" a certain number of gardeners. We would need to ask what they will need for some point in the future. Maybe this is something that can be done and the gardener's found and selected by the GW's magazine. Don't know if the magazine would do something like this. Just an idea. They might, and for publicity / or as an article help us get things to people.

17/02/2014 at 21:57

There might be some way that GW could act as a 'middle man' - we could ask Daniel.

KEF
17/02/2014 at 22:05

That would be good, worst case would be a sorry but no.

Artjak and potential contributors what's your view?  

17/02/2014 at 22:09

If you plant things like Arundo Donax and Gunnera in soggy soil, would that actually help the soil to dry out quicker?

41 to 60 of 810 messages