London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
61 to 80 of 812 messages
KEF
18/02/2014 at 08:44

Dove.

Ashleigh 2 wrote (see)

If you plant things like Arundo Donax and Gunnera in soggy soil, would that actually help the soil to dry out quicker?

Gunnera is a marginal plant and would be fine planted in damp, not soggy, soil and needs lots of water as it grows. AD would need decent conditions to establish, but does take up a good amount as it grows. It is often found in dried river beds where I assume it roots down into damp conditions.

18/02/2014 at 08:50

The Chinese make very elegant rafts/boats out of rattan  http://www.flickr.com/photos/brewmac/3599690193/in/photostream/  - perhaps Alan Charles will give some to those who are flooded?

Isn't A. Donax a bit invasive?

18/02/2014 at 08:52

Maybe Vance Miller could  be persuaded to donate  a kitchen or three.

KEF
18/02/2014 at 09:24

Fidget

Dove I haven't found it to be. Had it about 12yrs and only had to dig a few clumps out, and they weren't hard work. It wasn't meant to be fully hardy in my area so maybe that has slowed it down. I grow it as a screen in a border, wouldn't look good in a bed, but it does a good job here.

18/02/2014 at 13:07

I was thinking of contacting Horticultural Clubs, Women's Institutes, Primary Schools perhaps (they often have gardens, veg beds) and allotment groups. I thought of waiting until early March at least for people who have been flooded to even start to get organised/ back on-line etc.

I know nothing of GW Magazine; perhaps those of you who get it could sound them out?

My main problem before I start doing research on the above groups, is; there is no actual map that I can find online that shows the precise locations of the floods. I know it is the area around Bridgewater in Somerset, but there are other areas too.

Anyone have any good info on this?

Edd
18/02/2014 at 13:35
19/02/2014 at 16:29

Edd, thank you very much; most useful.

19/02/2014 at 18:24

Excellent idea, Artjak.  My brother-in-law is on the Somerset Levels, right in the middle of it all.  He is well connected to the FLAG group (Flooding on the Levels Action Group) that has been coordinating all the community action.   Would you like me to contact him and get him to put the word out around FLAG, asking people what they would find helpful / useful to re-stock when the waters recede?

I'd happily help get plants across to them.  I live in South Wales and am working in Dorset and Berkshire, so could rendezvous on M4 (from Cardiff to Newbury) or on M5 (from Bristol to Taunton), or around Dorchester / Poole / Bournemouth. 

I don't want to interfere or get in the way, but if you think I can help just let me know!

Rosie

19/02/2014 at 19:41

Rosie, that sounds a good idea.  I'm sure we can all contribute something.

19/02/2014 at 19:49

That's brilliant Rosie - as I've said, this is a relatively new garden so I've not got a lot to take cuttings and divisions from, but I'll sow extra this spring, and my son and I may well be making some trips across to family in South Wales so could hook up with you to bring stuff from East Anglia - we don't have big cars, but we could do something. 

19/02/2014 at 20:07

That sounds great Artjak and Rosie - i always grow surplus, and happy for it to find a good home.  M4 in berks is easy for me

19/02/2014 at 20:28

OK, I'll get in touch with brother Alan and ask him to link with FLAG to see if we can help them.  Artjak - this was your initiative to begin with, are you happy for me to do that?

Rosie

19/02/2014 at 21:33

Alan posted our offer on the FLAG facebook site and already so many posts coming back from people saying what a lovely idea it is and how much they'd welcome it!  Not just those who have been flooded, but those whose gardens have been bulldozed to create flood defenses.  Comments like 'just what we need to keep our spirits up as we get into the long haul of recovery'.  So well done Artjak and everyone, this sounds like an idea people would really appreciate.

I keep on 'losing' this thread in my 'followed discussions'.  Does anyone else have that problem?

19/02/2014 at 21:40

I just posted and it didn't work.

Rosie, you sound just like the contact that was needed.

I've been following this thread with interest. I wish I could help, but it's difficult living in SW France.

19/02/2014 at 22:04

Hi Busy-Lizzie

Maybe you could team up with someone over here and send them some seeds to sow on your behalf!  (hee hee).

It has been the most incredible thing on the levels.  Really horrific - but also very inspiring to see how their community has risen to the challenge and supported each other, and to see how many people have come in from far away to offer support.  A good example of humanity at its best. I think one of the greatest challenges will be maintaining spirit and morale as the long, long clean up starts.  Someone has just posted on their site that even if their houses are devastated, perhaps they can get their gardens looking good...   it would be so great if we could help from this forum.

Hope your weather down in SW France has been slightly kinder!

Rosie

19/02/2014 at 22:19

It's been very wet, but I'm inland and on the side of a hill. Poor Brittany has had it bad, like Cornwall, and the Var in south France, near the Pyrenees and Atlantic coast have all had problems, flooding and red alerts. But I think the wind has been a lot worse in the UK.

20/02/2014 at 13:29

Bump - just in case anyone else is interested in helping?

20/02/2014 at 16:52

Rosie, you are a star Sorry I have not responded before, but was v. busy last night and today.

Yes, if you can get people to identify what they need that would be wonderful. I hopefully can supply the kind of veg that people would be germinating now if they could; aubergines, peppers, tomatoes. I will also try to get some herbs going.

Thank you so much for your response

20/02/2014 at 17:04

bump

20/02/2014 at 17:34

Bumping up! 

Thanks Artjak - will do.

61 to 80 of 812 messages