Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help, help, help! Just tipped a tin of paint over my lawn

We're opening our garden in 10 days for the village flower festival and I just managed to tip a tin of paint over my lawn.

Mopped most of it up, but obviously there's now a large stain.  Although I'm sure I can wait for the grass to grow out and chop it off, what about the soil below?  The surface is covered in Cuprinol Garden Shades in Willow image.  Will it kill it off completely?  I'm assuming turps isn't a good idea.....

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

I think - not the the Turps.....

Look at the label on the tin - is it a waterbased stain (ie can you clean out brushes in water - ie not using solvent)?

If so, I would flood the whole thing with loads of water NOW (several bucketfulls and then keep the hose running on it for ages) to dilute the paint. You might get away with it!

Only thing to watch with this advice is to flood it slowly - so you have don't have stream of dilute paint running into your borders etc. Also be careful if there's a pond nearby - don't let any get in there.

Good luck.

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • lindsay2610lindsay2610 Posts: 100

Thank you so much both!  You saved my skin, have been out there hosing it down (thankfully not near any borders or ponds) and it's worked.

I do wonder at my own stupidity though - I was stood lamenting my clumsiness as I washed out the paintbrush under the tap - why on earth didn't I think of hosing it down?? image

• TopbirdTopbird Posts: 8,352

We've all been there ....

Good luck with the Open Garden day

Heaven is ... sitting in the garden with a G&T and a cat while watching the sun go down
  • WintersongWintersong Posts: 2,436

Yeah, have fun on your open day image