London (change)
Today 23°C / 17°C
Tomorrow 21°C / 14°C
1 to 20 of 26 messages
29/11/2012 at 16:45

Hi everyone,

This is my 1st post and I'm hoping that some of you kind people may be able to assist me with a problem which has cropped up.

I have discovered a large number (100's maybe 1000's) of little grey eggs on my lawn edges.  I've no idea what they are or how to get rid of them and was hoping that somebody else may have come accross this and dealt with it in the past.

I have attached a couple of pictues and look forward to hearing from anyone who can help.

Many thanks,

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16117.jpg?width=272&height=350&mode=max

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/16118.jpg?width=166&height=124&mode=max

29/11/2012 at 17:48

They look a bit like slug/snail eggs but those are usually white in small numbers and hidden-did this suddenly appear overnight?

Are you sure they are eggs-what happens when you squeeze one and how big are they?-the picture might be deceiving?

29/11/2012 at 17:50

I've never seen anything like that. How sure are you that they're eggs? I'd be looking at some sort of fungi, it being the time of year for fungi rather than eggs.

29/11/2012 at 18:15

I must admit, they look silver, and like polystyrene balls to me. have you actually picked one up, maybe with a spoon to investigate, and prod around? That's what I would do. Let us know what happens.

29/11/2012 at 18:20

I think a bit of scientific prodding is the way to go. smell, texture, content, solid or hollow, anything else you can think of.

29/11/2012 at 18:47

Thanks everyone for replying.

I've seen them on and off in varying numbers over the last few weeks but it was the massive number of them I noticed today that started me wondering.  I've had a closer look and done some 'prod testing' and I think they must be some sort of polystyrene packaging... that said they seem a little heavier than I'd expect polystyrene to be but they are pretty uniformed in consistency, texture etc throughout.

I'll get the car-vac on them and see if they come back... if they do it's either a very strange type of egg, or my neighbour tipping their rubbish!

Thanks again.

29/11/2012 at 19:02
When I receive plants ordered online they often arrive packed in what at first look like polystyrene beads but are actually made of organic material intended for recycling. Different suppliers use different packing....some is made from corn starch, for example. They do look odd when wet and when breaking down. Could your "eggs" be this, Chris?
30/11/2012 at 23:49

I'm sure they're not but they look a little like ticks!

01/12/2012 at 08:47

I am super curious to know what these are! 

01/12/2012 at 08:56

Me too

It doesn't help to identify them but looking at how they're placed, could they have been washed there in heavy rain?

01/12/2012 at 11:12

They do lok like packing material to me,but the yellow cornstarch type would break down in wet weather pretty quickly. Are there any in your neighbours gardens? Maybe you could track them down to a local business or something. Very intruiging, I hope you find out soon!

01/12/2012 at 14:17
Bluebee, not all packing material is yellow cornstarch. I've had different sorts. I'm as intrigued as everyone else. Are these "eggs" now breaking down in the wet weather? Have you lifted any to see how they "feel"?
01/12/2012 at 15:11
sotongeoff wrote (see)

They look a bit like slug/snail eggs but those are usually white in small numbers and hidden-did this suddenly appear overnight?

Are you sure they are eggs-what happens when you squeeze one and how big are they?-the picture might be deceiving?

They look NOTHING like snail or slug eggs. Slug eggs are much, much smaller, yellowish tinge and clear. The pic is large, solid silver man-made things.

01/12/2012 at 15:16
blairs wrote (see)
sotongeoff wrote (see)

They look NOTHING like snail or slug eggs. Slug eggs are much, much smaller, yellowish tinge and clear. The pic is large, solid silver man-made things.

I did say a bit like,a different colour,usually hidden and the picture might be deceiving,how big are they and what happens when you squeeze one-so sorry- but dont get the point your making???

01/12/2012 at 20:20

Hi ChrisLPW1 obviosly if you pick one up you will know if they are organic or packing stuff so before we get world war one here ,is this a joke or what? is this a real question  or is it just April 1st all over again i dont get it

02/12/2012 at 16:53

Call me cynical but the first pic reminded me of the 'unknown berries' in this thread which were never identified...

http://www.gardenersworld.com/forum/problem-solving/unknown-berries/45025.html

Is this some kind of alien invasion?

02/12/2012 at 17:21

Had forgotten about that-there is a conspiracy-the truth is out there

02/12/2012 at 17:43

It looks a bit like the polystyrene beads you get in a beanbag...anyone had one of those explode in their garden?

02/12/2012 at 18:13

You or a neighbour haven't had any cavity wall insualtion put in recently? Those look exactly like the stuff they used in my house and it wound up all over the garden

02/12/2012 at 20:14
sotongeoff wrote (see)
blairs wrote (see)
sotongeoff wrote (see)

I did say a bit like,a different colour,usually hidden and the picture might be deceiving,how big are they and what happens when you squeeze one-so sorry- but dont get the point your making???

Dude, they look nothing like slug eggs, there is no comparison. Nothing wrong in being wrong but do not post stupid answers that do not help and make people question your knowledge.

1 to 20 of 26 messages