Register with us or sign in
in Problem solving
That weedkiller really only works works through the leaves-did you give it long enough to work-at least 3 weeks and secondly the weeds need to be actively growing for it to work-which they are not at this time of year
The best thing to do is to pick out as much of the root as possible whilst digging it over then when it comes back next year start a spraying regime-you will beat it bit it takes time.
Are you saying the spaghetti strands are white bineweed roots on the surface?-I am a bit confused
I'm afraid the only thing you can do at this time of year is to dig it over care, removing every piece of root that you can find. Do not rotavate as that will chop up the roots and every piece will grow into a new plant.
I'm afraid treating the spaghetti (stems) with weedkiller will not be any use as it is the leaves that take the chemicals into the plants and transmit them down to the roots, killing the plant.
As I said, dig it over this winter, removing every single inch of root that you come across. If you do it thoroughly your plot will be useable in the spring. You will get some bindweed appearing in the spring and summer for the next few years, but if you are conscientious about bruising the leaves and painting them with glyphosate the bindweed will die.
Just beware of it spreading in again from neighbouring plots.
That would be the bindweed going that colour though lack of light-perhaps the carpet was put down as a weed suppressant ?
Any way -good luck -sounds as though you have taken on a big job
Unfortunately bindweed is the worst thing in my garden. I haven't been able to remove it all as it burrows under walls only to reappear. I've almost got it under control in the vegetable garden, but when I put weed suppressant fabric down it works very well for most weeds but the bindweed sends it's roots, exactly like white spaghetti as Iain says, just under the fabric. You have to pick them all off by hand. Stick to annual crops until you get rid of it. I tried asparagus too soon and the bindweed became impossible to get out. Eventually I had to dig it all up, leave that bit fallow and spray the newly growing bindweed with glyphosphate.
Hi Lain,this year we took over an allotment for the first time,before this it was an exposed, high open field and lieraly full of creeping buttercup, bindweed and everything else we didnt want, we decided to remove the top inch or so with a hired turfer ,then we dug over a bit at a time and removed every bit of weed and root,very hard work but this was in the summer time , it was dry and quite warm which helped make it ok, ,,but now its all done we have completely easy controled raised beds almost weed free, so hard work yes but its the only way forward believe me, the advise your getting from the forum is good dont skimp do it once and do it well,if we had to we would do it again the same way, another tip is if you are getting manure delevered get twice the amount you think you need and save half on a tarpolene for a couple of years covered up,the result s are wonderfull talk to the older allotmenteers,if your lucky you might get Paliasglide to advise you he,s good at allotments if you have any milking farms near look for the big blue disinfectant tubs they use , they make wonderfull water butts
Good Luck Alan4711
you'll needed to get all the under ground root system out ,one tiny piece and its back,leave it on the compost and it will spread everywhere.drown bindweed in a bucket then place in green bin destined to a tip .