London (change)
Today 20°C / 13°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 14°C
7 messages
21/02/2013 at 09:58

About a year ago I has a new lawn planted in my garden. At first it was lush and green, but ever since it appears old and tired and unable to grow past a certain length.

There also seems to be an inordinate amount of worms tunneling up making it look even worse. Can anyone kindly offer me some advice on how to deal with this situation?

Thanks in advance

21/02/2013 at 10:16

When you say "planted"-was this turf or seed and did you stipulate what sort of lawn your wanted?

It may be the type of seed used to produce your lawn is one of the finer types and will only grow so high-or the soil has no nutrient and therefore the grass has nothing to feed on-but the presence of worms would contradict that

The only thing you can do it to commence a feeding programme-with a high nitrogen feed twice this year in the warmer months to produce top growth -then an autumn feed to develop root growth

That should help-don't mow too short-but if it is genetically a short lawn there is not much more you can do.

But you cannot do anything until it warms up a bit and starts growing.

Perhaps contact the people that laid it -was it a professional company-did they offer any sort of guarantee??

21/02/2013 at 13:03

I agree with Sotongeoff. Not much point worrying too much at the moment. Set a plan of action in motion, then when it is a little warmer, feed, seed and rake the garden. Takes time, but it's worth it!

21/02/2013 at 13:15

Worm casts on the surface (if that's what they are) are a good sign. The little tunnels that the worms dig help to aerate the lawn, and improve the structure of the soil. Much better to have worms than to have compacted lifeless soil.

21/02/2013 at 21:41

Sounds to me like a lawn in winter - it's had snow on it and possibly people walking on it as well.  Even grass won't grow in the cold weather - it'll perk up in the spring - when the weather warms up start mowing regularly with the cutter blade at it's  highest setting so you don't scalp the lawn.  Give it a good stiff raking and some Weed & Feed type top dressing (according to the instructions on the pack) and stand well back - you'll have a lush lawn in no  time at all 

And learn to love your worms  they are your friends 

25/02/2013 at 11:35

Just wondering Mark-did that help, reassure in anyway??

14/03/2013 at 13:14

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I was posting this on behalf of my mother who doesn't have access to a computer. I will pass your comments on. Thank you for your feedback.

email image
7 messages