Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help needed

Hello all, I am a very inexperienced gardener and I am hoping that you will be able to help get me on the right road! At the front of the house there is a flowering bush that is well established and has been there for quite some time. I do not know what it is. When it flowers, the flowers seem to instantly die within days firstly turning avyelloeish colour and then and drop off. Pictures added 

is anybody able to identify what the bush is ? And secondly why the flowers seem to die so quickly ? Along with any suggested remedies ? 

Fingers ctossed , looking forward to your advice 

thanks in advance imageimageimageimageimageimage

• LynLyn Posts: 23,190

That's a Camelia, mine is just about the same as yours, they don't do well in my garden, I think it's too damp for them here, I've dug a couple out, the white ones are even worse for buds rotting before they are even properly open.

Gardening on the wild, windy west side of Dartmoor. 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

It looks to me like "frost damage" 

Camellias are notorious for not liking sun on the flowers first thing on chilly mornings. It causes the damage you have . If they get a bit of shade first thing,and the flowers warm up more slowly, it's less likely. 

All down to our lovely weather .

Devon.
  • DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

And another problem with camellias is that the petals don't drop off as they brown and die, unlike roses whose dead flowers fall off. This makes the camellia look poorly unless you remove the dying blooms. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Mark56Mark56 Posts: 1,653

They'll also turn their feet up if they're in the path of wind. Fussy plants really image

Last edited: 24 April 2017 08:46:59