Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

help please

hello

im a new gardener , i recently built a raised bed with a butterfly net over it to grow some brassicas in ,all seemed to be going well plants growing and looking healthy ,my problem is i seen to have inherited a creeping weed with heart shaped leaves trying to strangle everything

• fidgetbonesfidgetbones Posts: 17,617

Bindweed.

• Ryan LloydRyan Lloyd Posts: 395

Bindweeds horrible, one of the worst weeds I can think of! I've had it for years and cannot get rid of it, however it wouldn't be advisable to use weedkiller as this will end up killing any plants or vegetables near it too, just keep on persevering and pulling it out weekly atleast in a bid to eradicate it, hope you have more luck than I do with it :P

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'm not sure, have you got a pic of one that isn't damaged buzzclan? It all looks a bit 'fleshy' for bindweed

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • Has it got white fleshy roots?

• buzzclanbuzzclan Posts: 8

it has got white skinny parsnip like roots ..any help most gratefull    thanks

hi   it does have white  skinny parsnip like roots   any help most gratefull   thanks

hi nutcutlet ..will try to get a better pic tomorow , thanks for the response

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

parsnip like roots?. Not bindweed then

In the sticks near Peterborough

its very prolific ,,ive been trying to keep it down by pulling it up ..but it seems to love the attention

• BobTheGardenerBobTheGardener Posts: 11,384

Could it be some sort of creeping campanula?  They have roots a bit like that and some of them can be very invasive.  We will have a better idea from seeing it in-situ, so look forward to the new photo.

A trowel in the hand is worth a thousand lost under a bush.