London (change)
Today °C / °C
Tomorrow °C / °C
14 messages
30/05/2014 at 16:36

I've had a disaster of epic proportion.

7 yr old has pushed 3 yr old into the monbretia. They are now completely flatten in the middle. What can I do?  With they still flower?    Would supporting them help? 

Sorry for being such a drama queen, but I totally gutted the foliage was looking perfect and so uniformed, I knew they were going to be just stunning this year.  

30/05/2014 at 16:45

If not actually broken, you could support with sticks and string until they pick up again.

If they are actually broken, you may have lost the flowers this year but you will still have them for next year.  Not much consolation I know but ...............

KEF
30/05/2014 at 17:19

I think they flower for a long period so maybe you've only lost the first lot of flowers. Mine haven't even started to show any flowering just plenty of foliage  As PS2 says they will be back next year even if the worst has happened.

30/05/2014 at 18:46

We had a dog (collie-cross) who loved to roll in the montbretia on hot sunny days to cool off!  It always recovered and I have tried to move it and still the leaves persist. I know it's crocosmia now but I bet it's still as tough

30/05/2014 at 18:48

Actually we should ask if the 3 year old is OK  I presume so

30/05/2014 at 19:11

I have always found them to be very robust.  I would sort of comb them through my fingers (if that makes sense) to lift the leaves a bit, and insert twiggy supports in between.  The leaves would then have a chance of being more upright, and the flowers would also have a bit of support. 

Hope that helps!

30/05/2014 at 20:24

Thanks guys, I'm over the initial shock now 2 glasses of wine helped So pleased to hear that they are tough. I've thought about putting canes and string, but worried that I will damage the plants around the flattened ones. I think it may be good to just to leave them and hope for the best. Thankfully its a tad early for the flowers and perhaps even if the foliage is damaged they will recover enough to flower.  

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/47518.jpg?width=518&height=350&mode=max

P.S. The 3 yr old is fine he can give as good as he gets, even he had to admit it was a rather good rugby tackle.  

Thanks again. x 

30/05/2014 at 20:32

Shrinking Violet, I immediately combed them through whilst saying "there, there".  

30/05/2014 at 20:40

Lol! Just read the thread From start

LesleyK wrote (see)

Actually we should ask if the 3 year old is OK  I presume so

Shrinking violet:

i have always found them very robust.

Still laughing 

31/05/2014 at 20:19

Supernoodle - I had to think about that for a minute or two - and then realised the unfortunate juxtaposition of my post with the one immediately before it!   

I wish I could lay claim to having planned it as a joke! 

31/05/2014 at 20:29

Montbretia or crocosmia Caral?

Did you buy them or did they just invade your garden?  Orange? Red? Yellow?

Montbretia are real toughies.  I would cut off those broken stems....wait a few days to see which ones recover.  Lots of time for them to flower.

Crocosmias are a little different.  They flower for,shorter time and more likely to need tme to recover.  But same treatment.  However, all summer to come....not the worst time of year for such a mishap. 

31/05/2014 at 20:47

I echo what Verdun says 

cut back the damaged growth and possible give then a good soluable feed and they should bounce back

Tought little plants

31/05/2014 at 20:56

Verdun you're teaching me again.  I thought montbretia had it'd name changed to crocosmia.  At least I will know next time

01/06/2014 at 20:49

Thank you Verdun and Steve, I will do that tomorrow. Phew! what a relief that they will will recover. They are in their 3th year now so were just coming into their own. There are Crocosmia Lucifer at the back and the slightly smaller Montbretia Babylon in the front. I think Babylon is a cross -crocosmia × crocosmiiflora -.not that that means much to me I call them Montbretia.  

email image
14 messages