Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help! What has eaten my dahlias?!

This is my first thread so I hope someone can solve my dahlia mystery! I live in Switzerland and a few weeks ago I planted out the dahlias I had grown from tubers (pink Giraffe) along with a few others. They were a decent size and I surrounded them with slug pellets just to be safe and today I went for a walk around in the garden and 2 of dahlias had disappeared...only a neat hole was left and no soil had been disturbed?! What could this be? I'm so annoyed I was so happy to find pink giraffes here now they've disappeared into thin air!! There aren't any moles around and we live in the middle if nowhere on a farm? The other dahlias in the same bed are fine (so far) and the ones eaten arent next to each other but in the same bed. Please advise before I lose anymore! 

thank you image

• LeekieLeekie Posts: 7

There's no evidence of anything just a hole!!

• SwissSueSwissSue Posts: 1,447

Hi Leekie, from the size of the hole I would be inclined to think mice or voles. It looks like they have pulled them down from underneath. Try putting a spade in about 6 inches from the hole and lift up the earth and see if there are bits of tuber down there and how far down the hole goes. it might be an idea to get a cat, if you haven't already got one, ours brings home voles regularly.image Where abouts in Switzerland are you?

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Even if slugs are the culprit the number of pellets is a bit OTT. 

In the sticks near Peterborough

Thanks SwissSue! I suspected voles but I've not experienced this before...they must be chooset with their meals! I will try that tomorrow! there are 10 farm cats that hang around here (I love cats!) so they're obviously not doing their job!! I live in Zug..where are you?!

nutcutlet wrote (see)

Thanks for your useful post nutcutlet aka the slug pellet police...as you can see slugs are not likely to be the problem!

• lazy gardenerlazy gardener Posts: 317
    Leekie wrote (see)
    nutcutlet wrote (see)

Thanks for your useful post nutcutlet aka the slug pellet police...as you can see slugs are not likely to be the problem!

Mmm-find that response as a bit rude -even if meant in jest-that number of slug pellets is absolutely ridiculous,unnecessary and not wildlife friendly

A bit of moderation would not go amiss-take that as you willimage

Leekie, I'm in Wolfwil, between Olten and Langenthal on the river Aare. We used to live in Oberwil, Zug a few years ago, so know Zug quite well.

As far as the dahlias are concerned, next time you plant some it might be an idea to put some chicken wire underneath them, I reckon the roots would grow through the holes with no problem.

Good luck with the rest of the dahlias!image

lazy gardener wrote (see)
    Leekie wrote (see)
    nutcutlet wrote (see)

Mmm-find that response as a bit rude -even if meant in jest-that number of slug pellets is absolutely ridiculous,unnecessary and not wildlife friendly

Pot calling the kettle black?

lazy gardener wrote (see)

I'm sorry if I offended you.

Do I really need to explain now how the is slug pellet box was opened too wide therefore does not "sprinkle" pellets when he real problem is my missing dahlia?!