Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Help with Crocosmia

Being new to gardening I will probably post some basic questions, which I hope won't take too much effort for other experienced gardeners to answer. Please be patient with me. Lol.  I planted some crocosmia earlier in the year - they have finished flowering and the leaves are turning yellow. Do I cut them down to the base?  Are they a bulb? Any suggestions On when and what to do. Should I have cut the flowers off when finished to encourage new flowers or doesn't it work like that for this plant?  

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • Thanks, I will leave them a bit longer then and if they start to look untidy decide what to do (see if anyone says anything different) at the moment the bulbous bits that were flowers look reasonably nice too so worth leaving for the mo.  Very helpful. Cheers. 

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

They'll die back and fall over when their time comes Rachie. I'm with hollie in  untidyness. It's good for wildlifeimage

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

Me too hollieimage and not just in the garden

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • The leaves are pretty tough and will have to be cut back at some stage, but you may as well leave them a while if they look OK. The corms stay happily in the ground over the winter - a bit too happily in some cases, as some varieties are quite invasive!

• Thanks Guys.  Love the advice.