London (change)
Today 11°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 13°C / 9°C
8 messages
29/05/2012 at 23:57

i have seperated the bulbs as best as i can,got rid of all the attached soil and put them in seed trays but now what. do i replant them asap? what about drying out? and if not now, when do i replant them?. many thanks

30/05/2012 at 07:44

Store then somewhere dry and cool, perhaps in some dry peat, and replant in the autumn.

30/05/2012 at 08:58

If she dug them up but you wanted to keep them in the ground they can go straight back in

30/05/2012 at 09:59

I'm not sure why the OP dug them up in the first place if she's happy to re-plant straight away?

Anyway, worth mentioning that snowdrops should never be left out of the ground or they'll dry up and die.

30/05/2012 at 10:03

Sorry, ignore my last post, I can't edit it.

Yes, put them straight back in the ground, especially if the leaves haven't finished dying back yet.

30/05/2012 at 10:03

If they still have green leaves on then soak in a bucket of cold water for an hour and replant as they still need to build up energy for next year's flowers.  Otherwise, they can be stored somewhere cool till autumn but I always think bulbs are best left in the ground so I would replant the lot straight away.

30/05/2012 at 12:36

many thanks to all. i have seperated the bulbs and cleaned them of dirt and removed all leaves (oops!) .  too late to replant i suppose? better to leave until autumn to replant then?.

30/05/2012 at 12:52

You may as well re-plant them as try and store them. Depending on the number of leaves that you removed, the bulbs may not flower next year, but they will be OK the year after if you allow them to die back naturally - and confiscate your daughter's trowel! 

email image
8 messages