4 messages
26/06/2014 at 20:42

Can you grow Garlic in plant pots ? As Im trying it for the first time. I have a clove in a 7inch pot the leaves are about 24inch long can you help me please.

26/06/2014 at 21:12

Jock..........you can grow garlic in containers tho it is always preferable to plant in the ground.

Depends a bit when and which garlic you are growing..........I assume you have the pot outside ?  Keep it watered ( but not over wet )...they do like a lightish well drained environment ......usually when the leaves start to die down, that would be the time to harvest.

In an ideal world, you would plant the garlic in the ground in September or October and harvest probably in the following August.......then a month or so later, you start again.

As it is your first time, you will just need to suck it and see whether your method will work..........I hope you get some results anyway

27/06/2014 at 10:35

I agree with Phillipa, I grow garlic in containers using a mix of multi purpose compost and Sharp sand  about 20% sand , keep them fairly well spaced and weed free ,  feed with a liqiud feriliser every 3 weeks or so once they are well established and growing well.

Good luck  

27/06/2014 at 10:53

Last year I put some garlic in the ground, others in pots (since ground space was rather limited). Both grew really well and I think with them drying away at the moment you really can't tell the difference in size. Perhaps had we had a dryer year it might be different!

email image
4 messages