Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

help

imagemy 3rd attempt at this forum not very good at it,I have only just joined today,need some advice on my dying pansies and violas,never had problem before but this year they are awfull,what am I doing wrong???

• kate1123kate1123 Posts: 2,815

Hello tina

Someone else had exactly the same problem and when they took them back to the garden centre they said that they had a problem batch and replaced the plants .

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

They're probably too wet, which is down to the weather, not you. If they're in containers you could check the soil for vine weevil, too - C-shaped grubs with a dark head about a cm long (the grubs, not the head).

• tina 5tina 5 Posts: 14

Thanks for info Alina,I did too wonder if they were too wet!! and the soil was grubb free I always tip into a wheelbarrow first and go through it have been caught out like that before,had a nightmare this year with Lilly beetles,little devils ruined half my beautifull tree lilies,just can't keep up with them and the slugs. This year has been a huge struggle in the garden.I have the most beautifull climbing Fusia bought for me by dad,really want to know how to over winter it too.

• sotongeoffsotongeoff Posts: 9,802

Are you using fresh compost Tina for the pansies and violas?

Absolutly,miracle grow,well supposed to be in my case a complete no grow!!

Plenty of drainage holes?

• Alina WAlina W Posts: 1,445

If your fuchsia is called "Lady Boothby" it is hardy; all you need to do is wrap some fleece around the pot. If a very hard frost is forecast, either bring it into a shed or put it close to a house wall to give it some protection. You can cut it down to about twelve inches now and, as an insurance, root some of the trimmings as cuttings that you keep indoors over winter.

Oh Wow thanks for that info Alina,I did put in shed the other night as frost was forcast,put it back out today,have loads of fleece so will certainly be doing that as for cuttings mmmm! not so sure but will have a go,and so reluctantant to cut down but if you say it's the right thing to do well I will do that too.

For Ernies tips yes plenty of holes!!!!!!

Tina-

I would be inclined to go back to the supplier about the violas/pansies-as Kate says another poster got a replacement-you may not have done anything wrong and they might be grateful for feedback

Welcome to the forum by the way

thanks for the welcome Ernie,however,I bought my pansies and all sorts from car boots,markets some from B@Q all over the place could not tell now which from which,will just have to deal with I feel,done all the right stuff.Just however bought some fromALDI'S will keep these ones seperate and watch the progress.Thanks so much for your advice and look forward to chatting on this forum.Tina