London (change)
Today 17°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 9°C
5 messages
28/05/2012 at 20:49

Hallo: it's very nice to be back.  I planted a clematis integrifolia (that's what the label said) 4 years ago and it's very healthy with good growth each year, in well drained soil, sheltered from the wind and in the sun.  But I have never had any flowers.  It dies back completely in the autumn, so I trim off the dead stalks in the spring: there isn't any 'old wood' to preserve.  What am I doing wrong?  Thank you

28/05/2012 at 21:43

I've had 4 forms of this for sevral years and all flower every year - although it looks as though one had been gt by late frosts this year and may be dead.   They do die back over winter and then shoot again from the roots in spring.  I cut off the old foliage and stems as soon as the new shoots appear and then give them a dollop of pelleted chicken manure to see them through the season and a drink of liquid tomato or rose food as an instant tonic.

Maybe a feed would incite yours to flower.  Clematis are hungry plants.

28/05/2012 at 22:01

Thanks obelixx: I will give it a strong drink and see if it helps.

29/05/2012 at 15:41

... and lots and lots of water  until it goes down in the winter.  We have several of these nonclimbing clematis, they are very nice weaving their way wherever they will around other plants.  Mostly shades of purple so far, expect hybridisers will bring in more colours in due course. 

29/05/2012 at 18:08

Thanks for the tip: it is in a good position to twine through other things if I can just get it started.

email image
5 messages