London (change)
Today 14°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 10°C
11 messages
07/08/2012 at 16:22

Hello,

This is my first post in here, so apologies if it's already been covered but...  I bought a hibiscus recently and the flowers are beginning to develop but soon after starting to open they have begun to wilt.  One of them has now progressed to being covered in small white dots, similar to a fungus perhaps?

When I took a photo to upload to here I noticed a very small bug hanging around the bud so this may be the cause of the problem.  Any advice on how I can cure this will be greatly appreciated

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/10661.jpg?width=359&height=350&mode=max

07/08/2012 at 16:37

That looks like water damage to me from excessive rain-the fungus is a secondary issue-a similar thing happens to roses

Dont worry about the bug

Just pick it off-the hibiscus will be fine-you should still get flower from remaining buds- unless we get more downpours

07/08/2012 at 20:16

Great stuff, thank you for the reply.  I've picked it off and thrown it away so fingers crossed the soil dries out...

08/08/2012 at 08:35

Hi Santy,  Do you know which type of hibiscus you have?   There are two types - the hardy one and the tropical one Rosa Sinesis. Looking at your photo the leaves look very similar to the latter. Is it in a pot or in the ground ? If it is R. Sinesis it won't be happy outside at all. These are tropical plants and require a lot of heat. I put mine out on a hot sunny day (if we get one ! ) but other than that it lives in the conservatory.

If it is the tropical one and in a pot I would fetch it indoors as it will not be happy with all the rain. Hope this helps. Jean.

08/08/2012 at 12:04

I've got a hardy one that has not bloomed for 4 years or more. Anyone who remembers me from the old BBC site may recall how I gave it a good talking to last year and said 'If you don't bloom next year you're out!' Now what do I do? I seem to have one tiny bud on it but that's all. Surely it should have bloomed before now.  Don't know the best way to treat it. I've tried feeding it, starving it, and swearing at it! Anyone got any ideas, please?

08/08/2012 at 12:14

dd

I remember that-time to say goodbye-it has had enough chances.

08/08/2012 at 13:05

Should dd get Sarah Brightman to sing 'Time to say goodbye'?

08/08/2012 at 13:14

haha Pam trying to post a link about this but as you know I'm pretty useless ! Anyway - it's on a site called garden know how and type in hibiscus. Just been reading  some good tips .

08/08/2012 at 13:24
08/08/2012 at 17:18
jean riley wrote (see)

Hi Santy,  Do you know which type of hibiscus you have?   There are two types - the hardy one and the tropical one Rosa Sinesis. Looking at your photo the leaves look very similar to the latter. Is it in a pot or in the ground ? If it is R. Sinesis it won't be happy outside at all. These are tropical plants and require a lot of heat. I put mine out on a hot sunny day (if we get one ! ) but other than that it lives in the conservatory.

If it is the tropical one and in a pot I would fetch it indoors as it will not be happy with all the rain. Hope this helps. Jean.

It's a Syriacus Marina.  It should be reasonably tolerant, although this crazy British summer is testing that to the limits I think.

09/08/2012 at 18:12

Thankyou all for your input. Loved the singing, but might just wait to see the one flower before I dig it up!

email image
11 messages