London (change)
Today 9°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 11°C / 10°C
19 messages
26/10/2013 at 19:44

I have found I have a bit of a wind tunnel in my garden and have already had a broken greenhouse door. In high winds is it best for me to leave the small windows open or ajart, or close everything completely down?

thanks for any advice

26/10/2013 at 19:47

i would leave open .  good luck

26/10/2013 at 19:57

...I also have a wind tunnel and I shut the whole lot up... I don't know if it's the best thing to do but it's what I feel safer with...I'm afraid something will blow out otherwise..

26/10/2013 at 20:07

I shut everything up as tight as possible, but my garden tends to be protected. I'm more worried about a tree falling on it.

26/10/2013 at 20:21

I usualy close up at such times but I don't know if that's the best thing to do

26/10/2013 at 21:36
fidgetbones wrote (see)

I shut everything up as tight as possible, but my garden tends to be protected. I'm more worried about a tree falling on it.

Too right fidget - doesn't do them any good at all:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33103.jpg?width=300&height=350&mode=max

That was an 8x6 a few hours before (photo from 17th Oct 2002)  A different viewpoint:

http://s4.gardenersworld.com/uploads/images/original/33104.jpg?width=480&height=350&mode=max

26/10/2013 at 21:39

I usually close everything up but have a cracked pane in the GH which has slipped down leaving a gap, was meaning to get it fixed but haven't, hope the wind doesn't take it.

26/10/2013 at 21:45

Blimey Bob, that was some damage  Glad I have no trees (well I have a lilac but it shouldn't move) and greenhouse. That said, I would shut up shop and leave nothing open.

26/10/2013 at 23:01

Close the doors, windows, vent. A gust in the right direction has the parchute effect and the whole thing can explode. I have seen that happen to soild metal greenhouses. You are advised to site greenhouses in sheltered spots for a reason.

27/10/2013 at 00:03

If you have gaps in your greenhouse you are asking for trouble - the wind races in through the gap and has nowehere to go.  Your greenhouse turns into a big balloon and goes pop!  As well as siting in a sheltered spot you should have your door facing north east as strong winds normally come from the south west.

If I had a greenhouse in a "wind tunnel" of a garden I would erect a windbreak - nothing solid just something to slow down the wind like some reed screening or some trellis with climbers.  On my plot I use scaffolding netting.

KEF
27/10/2013 at 07:14

Zoomer any chance you could pack the gap with something and tape it in place?

Fingers crossed it doesn't turn out as bad as predicted.

27/10/2013 at 08:50

Mine's at risk from trees as well. Can only keep the fingers crossed but not sure how that helps. Every time I look at the 5 day forecast the predicted windspeeds here are a little lower, so maybe over-hyped again?

27/10/2013 at 16:24

Ive just had an email from the greenhouse people. ill copy and paste.. i found it helpful.

How to prepare your greenhouse for severe winds

Storm Christian has been developing over the  Atlantic over the last few days and has been heading towards the UK at over 80 mph. It looks as though the high winds may cause some significant damage over the next 48 hours or so - particularly in the south of England.

A greenhouse is one of the areas of the garden that is vulnerable to wind, so whether your greenhouse is new or old, here are a few tips to help you prepare for the coming storm:

Check your greenhouse over. Is everything in place as it should be? Now is the time to tighten any loose nuts or screws, replace any missing glazing clips and generally check that everything is ship shape. If any roof vents have slid out of line, then these should be re-aligned so that they fit nicely.

Close all the vents and doors. If you have auto-vents, then you may wish to tie your vents shut with string or wire just for the storm ( remember to untie them afterwards so that the auto-vents can open) If your door has a lock, lock it. If not, prop it shut with a brick or similar to stop the wind blowing it open.

If for any reason your greenhouse has a missing pane of glass, then it is a good idea to block the hole for the duration of the storm so that the wind can't get in the greenhouse - even something as simple as an old blanket or towel with clothes pegs can stop the wind getting into the greenhouse as a a temporary measure.

It is also vital that your greenhouse is anchored down to the floor or base. If your greenhouse has only a few anchoring points or you are worried about the soundness of the base itself then it may be a good idea to weigh the greenhouse down to provide anchorage by placing  paving slabs or sandbags over one of the bottom flanges of the greenhouse cill.

If your greenhouse happens to be in a half built state, then it is also vital that it is weighed down by sandbags or slabs at the bottom if you haven't had chance to anchor it down yet.

Other items in your garden are also vulnerable: plastic furniture should be put away or weighed down and trampolines would also benefit from being weighed down at the bottom.

27/10/2013 at 21:31

Good advice ZG

28/10/2013 at 13:16

I have held the roof panels of my polycarb down with various bits of wood, brick, stone and slates! The sides are supported by pallets.

I don't know how many clips I have on each panel but these were ineffective during the last big storm this year and several panels ended up over next doors fence.

I recently saw a greenhouse with a home made wooden construction on top of the roof which was rigid offering more strength. Alright if you can still get the vents open!

28/10/2013 at 14:23

You can get Z shaped clips that you screwdown to seal polycarbonate glazing AJK.

28/10/2013 at 15:16

Thanks Blairs, must take a look for those, the clips are very easy to pop off. The new greenhouse doesnt have clips but the panels slide in the frame instead. Haven't got the thing built yet so I'll just have to hope its sturdy enough!

28/10/2013 at 20:08

Thanks KEF, I pushed the crack back together and added extra clips.

10/05/2014 at 17:46

I have had a panale popping out in the present wind,,,,,I wondered about riveting the panel in,,,,would that cause problems?

email image
19 messages