London (change)
Today 17°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 14°C / 11°C
3 messages
04/05/2014 at 12:15

Something keeps digging holes in my front lawn, about 6 inches deep.

The lawn is about 3ft above road level, with a stone retaining wall. We used to have a cherry blossom tree in that part of the lawn, but we had it taken down and the roots ground away a few years ago. There are still some big roots there, about 1ft below the surface. I wonder if the roots are rotting away and attracting grubs of some sort, which are then attracting a larger animal? The holes are only in the area where the tree was situated. We never had any problems before the tree was taken down.

I suspect a fox, but it might be a badger. We have loads of foxes in our area, and we actively encourage them in the back garden and have never (over 20 years) had any problems in the back garden whatsoever. Never seen a badger but there are reports of some in the area.

I've tried animal repellants such as Scoot but they don't help. Chicken mesh over the lawn stopped the problem, but I cannot leave that down all the time. The holes are always dug overnight, at intervals of a few days to a few weeks.

Any ideas how to discourage them?

04/05/2014 at 14:05

As they are looking for food, and most food is pests, maybe you should encourage them.

04/05/2014 at 14:47

sounds like rabbits to me. I've got them too and they are forever digging holes!

email image
3 messages