London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
4 messages
08/07/2013 at 14:03

Hello,

I have an Iceberg climbing rose.

It was purchased earlier in the year and about two months ago it started to shoot. All looked fine and as it shoud be.

Last week, it started to look like it was dying. The leaves were starting to drop off, and the stems appear black. I used some Bayer Rose spray, but that did not help.

On closer inspection, there are some holes around the base on the rose, going into the ground. The best way I can describe it is that someone has poked a 12 inch hole into the soil.

My assumption is that something may be burrowing and eating the rose? But I am not sure.

No other plants h=nearby are affected.

Can anythinh help with some guidance.

Thank you in advance.

08/07/2013 at 16:25
pictures would be good ,then you might get some help from someone
08/07/2013 at 20:18

How wide are the holes; if they are 3 or 4 cm wide, you may have rats, is there a bird feeder nearby?

09/07/2013 at 13:04

Thanks for the replies.

Today the holes have disappeared. But then that has occured before, and they return.

The actual size of the holes are no more than 1.5 cm wide, so quite small in diameter. When I get a hole next time, I will post a picture. I thought it may be some kind on insects burrowing down to the roots. The stems are turning brown now.

There is no bird feeder nearby. No rats to my knowledge. The area is close to a number of trees..

email image
4 messages