Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

home grown citrus trees

I grew my own citrus trees from pips about 6 years ago and although very healthy and getting bigger and bigger, even though I prune them, there has been no blossom.  They are kept in a conservatory over winter, then on patio.  I feed them occasionally with citrus feed.  Any suggestions as can't let them keep getting bigger and bigger?

• FloBearFloBear Posts: 2,281

All I can say from my experience is that I have one - probably a grapefruit pip - that is at least 30 years old. It has never flowered and has been in a pot about 18 ins in diameter for probably the last 20 years. I've  changed the compost once or twice and about every other year or so I remove the top few ins and replace that. JI no 3. Mine stays outside in a very sheltered spot by the house and survives. Maybe if I was nicer to it, it would flower!

I have been told previously that if you want flowering fruiting citrus in this country it's better to buy one that is bred to do so here. But I'm sure there must be people out there who've succeeded with pips!

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,138

Years ago when my children were small I grew lots of little plants from oranges, lemons and grapefruits - I kept them in a conservatory/porch and most of them were little more than 8" high and still planted in yoghurt pots when they began flowering and the perfume in the porch was wonderful.

I treated them very mean indeed and they performed well until they succumbed to a very cold winter.  I never pruned as such, but did pinch out the tips of the main branches each spring.

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.