Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Home made slow release fertilizer

I usually feed my plants with tomato fertilizer but found difficulties with this last year because it's watered on and I was either over-watering or not feeding at times and also because of health problems it was quite a chore physically. I have in my shed chicken manure, ground seaweed and fish, blood and bone and a recipe I picked up somewhere of 5-2-3 parts of each respectively. If I used this say in mid March and again at the end of June would that be enough food for the entire year. Is it high in potash like tomato food?

• WelshonionWelshonion Posts: 3,114
    Tomato fertilizer is really suitable for fruiting plants like tomato, cucumber etc. It is not designed for any old plant, That is just wasteful, though I use it double-diluted for house plants.

I assume you are feeding plants in pots,and baskets not in the open ground.
  • I grow flowering plants clematis, roses, perennials and annuals in the ground and in containers, tomato food is always recommended for anything that fruits or flowers. I also plant very densely and clematis in particular are very hungry, particularly for potassium. I just don't know if there is enough of it in the mix I am considering?