London (change)
Today 18°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 20°C / 15°C
13 messages
12/04/2013 at 11:49

We have an area that has honey fungus and, as we are overlooked, we want to grow an ornamental tree that grows to approximately 4 metres to afford us privacy. Any suggestions for small trees that fit the bill? 

Are there other flowering plants that will survive in that general area? Recommendations please.

12/04/2013 at 12:28

This should give you all you need. 

http://www.rhs.org.uk/Media/PDFs/Advice/HoneyFungusList

12/04/2013 at 12:34

I had this problem. Therre are a number of plants that succumb less to the fungus. 

I was given a very long list by my then tree officer;

Ash, Bamboo, beech, box, catalpa, hawthorn, holly, liquidamber, photina, tamarisk,douglas fir, Cercis, fothergilla

Hope this helps,there is more if you wish just contact me here.

A nother thing is to ensure the soil is very healthy 0 compost, manure it helps to maintain the plants health

12/04/2013 at 12:36

Just re-read and you asked for floweringnplants - perennials are mostly fine. Shrubs again off my list

Chaenomeles, clematis, kerria, pieris, pittospurnum, eleagnus, fothergilla

12/04/2013 at 12:55

Is there a best way to lmit the spread of the disease? I have removed the tree and roots.

Are you suggesting using new compost and manure? I am going to try protecting the other trees nearby using Armillatox.

12/04/2013 at 13:47

I gave up and lived with it. That is until we moved - strange but one of the questions when house hunting was Is there Honey Fungus in the areaa?

I did find that choosing carefully helped - roses are a big nono as is rhododendron. 

If you Google honey fungus or look at the RHS link above you will see it is virtually impossible to eradicate.

12/04/2013 at 15:25

Armillotox doesn't work on Honey Fungus, although it has been advocated as a remedy in the past. Armillotox is no longer permitted to be sold as a soil treatment because of EU regulations about toxicity, so can't be promoted as such by the manufacturer. It is still recommended as a cleaner for greenhouses, pots etc.. 

It is unlikely that anything you do will stop it spreading to nearby shrubs and trees, other than removing infected plants and replacing with resistant species. As Matty says, google the RHS for best advice. 

12/04/2013 at 15:55

I'll try anything to save my plants and so, although I've read that it may not work, I am going to use the Armillotox. The website suggests that the only reason it is no longer sanctioned is because of the EU, not because it does not work.

20/10/2013 at 16:57

We have this in an old birch tree stump.  I have been frightened to dig it up in case I spread it but it doesn`t look as though I can prevent that anyway.  It doesn`t appear to be affecting brambles (we have plenty of those !)  nut trees, hawthorn or holly.

We have been given 3 fruit trees - a Bramley Apple, a Pear and a Cherry. Anyone know if these are susceptible ?

20/10/2013 at 21:34

Cherry is definately suseptible, see my posts in the other honey fungus thread.

Armillotox has had to change its name due to new regulations, but it is the exact same product, just rebranded as patio cleaner etc.

28/11/2013 at 22:54

I am pretty sure it is Honey Fungus destroying my climbing rose's, clematis and other shrubs.  We cut down a May hedge and left the stumps and roots for stag beetles (of which we have many).  I completely replanted the bed and all was well for the first year.  The second year (last year) and this year disaster set in, even the vigorous Autumn clematis looked sick and hardly had any flowers.  I have fed, mulched and pruned everything - to no avail.  Then about a month ago a huge patch of fungus appeared near one of the May stumps.  I recall similar last year on a different May stump.  Gutted!

29/11/2013 at 08:06

Are you sure it's honey fungus?  There are other fungi that  attack dead and dying wood - it's how such things decompose and disappear. 

Honey fungus will affect roses, but clematis are not thought to be susceptible - here is a list of the plants most commonly attacked and others that are sometimes susceptible  http://www.rhs.org.uk/Media/PDFs/Advice/HoneyFungusList

Good luck. 

29/11/2013 at 09:08

An organic practical solution may be to trench in a plastic membrane barrier. Using thick durable material and identifying just where the fungus is or spreading from is prob best way to control it.  I would sift through the soil too checking and removing all evidence of the fungus....bootlaces etc

Phytophthera is rife in many forms......I lost a juniper, photinia and thuya in one area few years back and am sure phytophthera was the culprit.  

Prob growing herbaceous perennials is the way to go if honey fungus is present.  Ideally those that are short  term 

email image
13 messages