London (change)
Today 22°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 22°C / 15°C
11 messages
07/04/2013 at 19:31
07/04/2013 at 19:40
I cut my honeysuckles back when it said they should be but think the really harsh weather we've had have killed them off as there's no sign of life.

Therefore any suggestions of a climber (to go over a wire arch) to replace them? Ideally something fragrant as you walk through the arch you smell it, but something that will grow quick ove summer, was wondering about a Passion Flower?

Assume that all climbers need to be cut back each year and that theres no evergreen climber that you don't cut back?
07/04/2013 at 19:47

Hi Becky. Are you sure its dead? We are three weeks behind this year. I was about to rip mine out the other day and then noticed its still green when I scraped a little bit of the bark back

07/04/2013 at 20:29

Hi Becky, Sam's right, don't give up on it yet.

Lots of things don't need cutting back. Honeysuckle needs a trim up sometimes and you can cut it back but you don't have to.

07/04/2013 at 20:47
Hi both - ill check next time I'm out there for life under the bark Main reason I cut it back was due to it completely covering the arch and wasn't too sure how it'd be if I didn't (for flowers)
07/04/2013 at 20:56

Ahh, I have some growing wild in the wood next to me which has creeped over but the one in the garden was going to get the heave ho but left it after further investigation

07/04/2013 at 21:36

Same here Becky P.  I cut my honeysuckle back and after the frost and snow over this last few weeks i also think mine is dead  I had a look today and didnt notice any green buds etc.  I only put ot in because I though it would be really hardy.

07/04/2013 at 21:39

I'd better look at mine tomorrow. I thought they were totally hardy

07/04/2013 at 22:02

I had one that I tore out of the ground as it was still attached to the meshing that I had it climbing up, it spent the winter in behind the greenhouse, dangling in the air, rootball and all.

I went to dispose of it a couple of weeks ago and it was covered in buds, it is now back in the ground and growing well.

I'd scrape a little bit of bark and check before you toss it.

07/04/2013 at 22:10

Far too early to be calling anything dead. Good job you spotted it in time Steve

08/04/2013 at 21:25

Thats good to hear Steve - I wont touch mine and give them a chance to recover. Hope they survive!

email image
11 messages