London (change)
Today 20°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 19°C / 14°C
8 messages
02/06/2013 at 10:56

Hi Gardners.

I bpoght a climbing honeysuckle from a gardening centre around 5 years ago hoping for scented flowers around the garden bench. Although it grows quite well i have never had any flowers on it. i suspect it is a soil or feeding problem any advive please.

02/06/2013 at 11:06

After 5 years I'd give it up as a bad job.  Morrisons have a range of climbing plants at £2 each. I've just bought three new clematis. About a foot high in a 3inch pot.

Better value than 3 plugs for £5.95 p&P.

02/06/2013 at 11:11

Tried Clematis years ago and had same problem as honeysuckle at back of house, but grew well at the front.

02/06/2013 at 11:20

Morrisons  supermarket have named honeysuckles as well. I didn't  buy honeysuckle because I have   a lovely all yellow one called Graham Thomas that I layer and spread around the garden. It flowers from June and perfumes a wide area. Is your honeysuckle in deep shade?

02/06/2013 at 12:01

Steve, try feeding with suphate of potash.  Lack of Potassium (the K in NPK fertilisers) is vital for plants to develop flowers and fruit and may help if your soil is short on this nutrient.

02/06/2013 at 14:25

Thanks Bob i will try that.

02/06/2013 at 14:29

Thanks Fidgetbones,

It's in partial shade but i have got some in a pot which i put in full sun but there is no sighn of flowers on that one yet either.

03/06/2013 at 17:56

Two websites with Lonicera say it "will flower best in a warm, sunny position" and produces more flowers "when kept in check." If it's in the shade, it's probably putting everything it's got into climbing higher, trying to find sunshine.

If you have a sunnier place for it, you'd probably get away with cutting it right back and moving it some time around first frost. Just make sure you get a big root ball. It'll probably take a while to decide it's big enough to flower, but that might work.

email image
8 messages