London (change)
Today 19°C / 10°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 9°C
17 messages
08/07/2013 at 21:43

I have a honeysuckle in my garden, and it has lost all its leaves.

I planted it in August 2009, but since then I have dug nanure into the soil. 

The flowers also do not look good, and there is some old wood, which I guess I should have pruned out   It has climbed to the tope of my fence.

Can you offer me any advice please?

08/07/2013 at 21:46

Thanking you, un anticipation.

Barbara

08/07/2013 at 23:46

Hi Barbara. How much sun does it get?

09/07/2013 at 07:06

Barbara don't worry i planted mine in early April then dug in some manure around the bed it's in end of April and it lost leaves and ones left went dark but after watering and feeding it over next 6 weeks it has come back looking great. I think it's the break down of the manure that's maybe to strong for the roots and burn them a little bit but as i say mine came away good again good luck.

09/07/2013 at 08:57

In answer to your question re: sunshine.

The plant gets quite alot of sun early morning, and then again in the evening.

09/07/2013 at 14:50

Not too much sun then. Just wanted to check because they are better with shade from the hottest part of the day...at least the roots are. Was there any sign of powdery mildew or aphid attack? Yes prune out old wood. This helps to let air circulate.

10/07/2013 at 08:44

I have recently spraye the Honeysuckle with bug spray, but I do believe it had already been attacked.   Is it best to prune out all the dead wood at this time of year?

10/07/2013 at 15:49

If its completely dead then any time but yes now is good to allow air to circulate and stop things like powdery mildew getting a hold. You say the flowers are affected too? What time of the day did you spray and were the flowers out when you did it?

11/07/2013 at 09:14

I sprayed the honeysuckle in the evening. The flower were out, but not looking wonderful.

I don`t think it is completely dead, but I believe the insects have got to it.  Is there anyway I can put it back to good health?

11/07/2013 at 15:28

Sounds like it looks a bit of a mess and honeysuckle should be pruned when they have finished flowering so a little early but should be fine...go for it. Prune down a stem to a healthy or healthier looking side shoot. Take out all dead wood. Blast it with a hosepipe when sun not on it in the evening a few times to deter insects and hope for the best 

11/07/2013 at 21:43

I have a honeysuckle growing up my fence.  Its grows really well, new shoots and really healthy leaves only problem is the flowers are rubbish and have been for the last two years.  Was thinking of getting rid of it all together but should I just cut it down as above.

Any advice please.

12/07/2013 at 15:52

Sounds like I should give it a good pruning, which I didn`t do before, which would not have helped matters.   I will then give it a good blast with the hose-pipe.

12/07/2013 at 16:00

Have you ever pruned it Grace? They do respond to being threatened lol. Unless you hack it to the ground you won't kill it, sometimes cut to the ground it still comes back. I say do it what have you got to lose 

13/07/2013 at 12:13

Our honeysuckle had a mass of flowers this year which were going to look fabulous, but unfortunately all turned brown and withered . Leaves are ok and I can't see any sign of pests. Plant is in full Sun and gets a weekly watering. Any ideas?

13/07/2013 at 16:30

hello, i'm no expert but mine didn't flower properly until i trained it to gro across the fence as well as upwards. perhaps you also need to water it more in this heatwave as even the soil below ground will dry up much quicker than usual. i never fed mine with anything either and it was given to me by a friend so didn't have a huge rootball to start with either.  

good luck

14/07/2013 at 20:09

Richard.....had a mass of flowers?...buds? A lot of plants got knocked back by the late cold weather this year. That would turn new, soft growth and buds brown and kill them. If it is otherwise healthy and has flowered well in the past I would leave it apart from a tidy up and it will probably be fine next year. 

16/07/2013 at 20:26

plant did flower but only for a very short period , will tidy up up with a light prune  and hope for the best.  Thanks 

email image
17 messages