London (change)
Today 13°C / 8°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 5°C
5 messages
14/07/2013 at 14:16

We planted a honeysuckle 2 years ago, but it still hasn't flowered. It's healthy and has lots of leaves; we haven't pruned it at all so not sure why it's not flowering.

Anyone any ideas please?

14/07/2013 at 15:11

maybe it's just too happy. flowering is the plant making sure that, if it dies, life will go on. yours maybe thinks it has found a nice place to live and what's the hurry?

14/07/2013 at 19:08

Two things:

1) mine took a few years to flower, too, and like many things climbing the northern side of my southern fence it flowered once it had climbed into the sunlight at the top and ran short of places to climb higher.

2) websites selling honeysuckle often say that it flowers particularly well "if kept in check," meaning, presumably, as a response to pruning. As long as it's got climbing to do, it's likely to focus on that.

14/07/2013 at 20:34

Yes I agree. You have a happy plant enjoying the easy life.  You prob feed it well? 

However, I prune quite hard in autumn.....mild here but prob safest in spring.  I have 3 different varieties and they are all treated the same way with a tendency to spur prune, I.e. to shorten side shoots from main shoots.  To maintain lower greenery I always remove a couple of main stems to about 1 or 2 feet from the ground.  No expert but it works for me.  All mine are generating masses of flower and scent as I type this

Good luck snowy

14/07/2013 at 21:08

Thank you all very much for your help. It's climbed to the top of the trellis so maybe we'll have some flowers sometime! Verdun, will certainly prune it in the autumn or spring.

Again, many thanks.

email image
5 messages