London (change)
Today 21°C / 15°C
Tomorrow 16°C / 13°C
4 messages
11/07/2013 at 06:58

As beautiful this time if year is with all the flowers and the enjoyable pruning that occurs, it is almost my most hated time of year. This is all due to those sinister horseflys. I am currently winning the battle 15 - 1, but that one bites has caused me problems.

Has anybody got any stories, cures or remedies they would like to share? 

11/07/2013 at 08:03

Wish I had! OH is allergic to them and gets real problems. The only solution I know is to move to a town, right away from farm animals.

11/07/2013 at 08:08

Citronella oil as general repellant. if that doesn't work, Jungle formula insect repellant extra strength  50% DEET. You can put this on clothes instead of on the skin. DEET will melt plastic so be careful not to get it on sunglasses, watchstraps etc.

If you get bit put a steroid cream such as hydrocortisone 1% on the bite, and take an antihistamine tablet such as the non drowsy one a day type. (Loratidine or Cetirizine)

11/07/2013 at 08:47

Ouch! - been there a few times - but we are surrounded by paddocks and horses.

I use the antihistamine cream (+ tablet if it's really bad) as an initial treatment - but then scale down to Witch Hazel gel after a day or so. This is very soothing and cooling and stops me scratching which makes eberything much worse.

The Witch Hazel is also really good for other less serious bites and things like nettle rash & burns and it's non greasy and clear so even my OH is happy to use it.

email image
4 messages