London (change)
Today 16°C / 9°C
Tomorrow 18°C / 6°C
9 messages
20/02/2014 at 21:49

How do you manage a garden with horsetail. I have a large lawn and flower beds. I want to create vegetable patches but am concerned that it will be taken over by this horrible horsetail weed! Any advice would be appreciated.

Kate

(North Yorkshire)

20/02/2014 at 23:37

I think this has come up before and as I remember the collected wisdom amounted to a regime of spraying with glysophate and digging up the roots. So dig first and spray when the marestail emerges and is actively growing. Luckily I don't have any problem with this particular weed.

21/02/2014 at 09:14

Horsetail is a born survivor, having been around since the dinosaurs. It contains a lot of silica in its stems, which makes it difficult for weedkillers to penetrate. The trick is to damage the stems and then to spray. Continued digging it up does weaken it as well. So a 2 pronged attack. 

21/02/2014 at 09:30
punkdoc wrote (see)

he trick is to damage the stems and then to spray. Continued digging it up does weaken it as well. So a 2 pronged attack. 

Spot on.

For a veg patch I would not want to use herbicides, so if you have a problem with Horsetail then sort that first or build a raised bed.

21/02/2014 at 11:38

Get a pair of those body exfoliating gloves from the shower gel section in your supermarket (only £1). Wear them over a pair of rubber washing up gloves, dip your hands into your glysophate weed killer. Rub the weed killer into the horsetail foliage. You need the horsetail to be growing quite strongly before putting the weed killer onto it.

Horsetail will just grow up through a raised bed

21/02/2014 at 13:20
Thank you for the advice. My lovely dad has made me a raised bed so will get cracking this weekend
21/02/2014 at 18:14

Pull Pull and Pull again. As soon as you see it pull it up, this seems to have worked for me.

21/02/2014 at 23:00

I was told by a professional gardener the only solution is to move! I was given it with a plant by a friend, yes we are still friends! as recommended keep at it you can't win but can keep it in check. Happy gardening when the sun shines!

21/02/2014 at 23:45

I once read that the roots of maretail have been measured to 300m , yes 3 hundred,  no typo: that's how they survived the ice age. Good luck with digging it up. I'd go with bruising and glyphosate.

email image
9 messages