London (change)
Today 25°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 24°C / 16°C
5 messages
08/06/2012 at 13:33

I have had my garden for less than a year and did not really take any note of what was growing in the grass when I bought the flat last summer.  I just hacked it back as it was very long, 3 foot and more is some places. I then dug out several flower beds. This year I have discovered that I have horsetail growing in my garden. I have never come across it before and was in total ignorance so you can imagine my dismay coming back home this week after two weeks away to find out it has taken over the garden.

It grows in abundance in the forests in Vancouver.

I think it is worse than bindweed as the roots are the same colour as the earth so any useful tips on how to get rid of it would be very welcome. I do appreciate that I may have a long battle ahead of me.

08/06/2012 at 23:14

Depends whether you are prepared to use weedkillers. If you are, then crush the plant first (or mix a little washing-up liquid with the weedkiller - both break the plant's waxy surface) and spray it with a glyphosate-based weedkiller, being careful not to wet any plants hat you want to keep. You will probably have to repeat this a number of times.

If you prefer not to use weedkiller, then your only option is to pull it up the instant that you see it. This will take many years to work as it has extremely deep roots.

09/06/2012 at 21:38

Thanks Alina

Just to let you know I have spent 8 hours today  out in the sunshine digging out as much as possible. Hopefully, tomorrow will be dry too, and the next day, and the next.....

09/06/2012 at 21:41

Good luck!

14/07/2012 at 12:09

I started a thread on this last year on the BBC Message Board and the advice I was given was very similar to the above by many helpful contributers, it was also suggested that using a  (basic) Lawn Weed and Feed Mixture - worked!  The food Supermarkets in this area of France do not sell such products 

email image
5 messages