Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

Hosta s in pots

Hi guys imageanother lovely day but very windy I have a large Acer under going therapy for an infestation of the blightersimage having put it out in the open so that it can be dealt with  to keep it upright I need to put other pots around it  Would Hosta be the ones to choose ?? as himself has a vast collection in 40cm  pots that I could use .

• ObelixxObelixx Posts: 30,064

I think hostas and acers look fab together and most require the same dappled shade to do well so will enjoy the same situation.

Vendée - 20kms from Atlantic coast.
    "The price good men (and women) pay for indifference to public affairs is to be ruled by evil men (and women)."
    Plato
  • Thanks two of you just so long as they don't catch Acer aphid I'll get my idea passed by the chairman of the boardimageimage

• OldtykeOldtyke Posts: 155

Very wise!

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

One can never have too many hostas. EVER image

Devon.
  • We have Hosta's in both full sun and full shade, Both do very well, If long if there kept well watered they thrive in almost any conditions, Cant recommend slug pellets enough around hosta's.

• Hosta's are great slugs love um well they love mine but also I have a mixture of hostas and heuchera and heucherella plants combined with my acer and they look amazing I think 

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

I've given up on heuchera as they just seem to be killed off by flippin vine weevil.

If you can grow them, look out for Obsidian , it's stunning.

Devon.
  • I've got two heuchera in the dahlia bed  really look good without the weeds around themimageimage not sure of their name but a burgundy colour think I was told possibly plum pudding??(looks more like a good Beaujolais to meimage) I'll look out for VWGrubs Hosta I'm getting quite good at foraging for them in pots and so now will have to extend it into the garden soil (up till now I thought that they only colonised in pots??? image not such an expert after all)

Oh!Acer looking a lot better after it's dousing Verdun thanks for your advice on thatimage good old simple water did the job I covered the soil underneath with plastic so theydidnt hide in there.