Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 20 replies

Me and my partner recently got a bungalow and we are wanting to get the front lawn looking better. There have been a few flagstones about, roses bushes, random flowers and all sorts, I have there's a lot of moss growing too.

I did use the strimmer on it to get cleaned up,

What can I do to get it looking better?

Thanks in Advance.

Mike Allen

Hi David. IMHO.  Clear the site and start again.  Stimmers might be OK for rough areas but unless there is already a strong layer of grass zilch.  Get rid of what's there, dig the ground over and rake and level.  Between raking walk about on it to help settle the soil.  Finally gently rake so as to give a fine tilthe.  Select a grass seed mixture suitable for your wants or get some good turf.  To be honest my friend.  You are wasting your time with what you have.  Feel free to ask more.

Fairygirl

I'd have to agree. If you want  a half decent lawn, it needs a good start, with decent, free draining soil. It's a bit late to sow seed now, as it's getting too cold for it to germinate, unless you're in a very warm area. It needs to be consistenly about 17 degrees.for a couple of weeks. Might be better just getting it into shape now, and sowing seed in spring. Remove all the roots, stones and weeds, fill in any dips or holes and get everything levelled. Firm it, then give it a light rake over. 

Alternatively, have it turfed once it's prepped.  It wouldn't be too expensive for an area that size, and turf would settle well and be well established for next year 

madpenguin

I agree,you need to start from scratch!

Papi Jo

Agree with previous posts, start from scratch. A well-prepared soil is the key to success. Also try to get the best quality seed you can get.

Advertisement

Thanks for all the help ill get started digging it all over today then

Lyn

Well prepared is the way to go, as someone on the radio once said, when discussing lawns, ' the secret of a good lay is a firm bottom' 

Fairygirl
Lyn says:

Well prepared is the way to go, as someone on the radio once said, when discussing lawns, ' the secret of a good lay is a firm bottom' 

See original post

Lyn 

I couldn't possibly comment ......

Paul Charnock

I'm not sure it is actually too late to plant seed, depending on where you live of course.
I live in the midlands and a few years ago seeded a new lawn on 1 October.
Ok it means getting your skates on re the digging (and,as others have said, it needs to be thorough)

If you are able to get enough horticultural fleece to cover the ground after seeding then this should help the fact that you are getting a bit late.

Paul Charnock
Fairygirl says:
Lyn says:

See original post

Lyn 

I couldn't possibly comment ......

See original post

Sounds like very good advice

Last edited: 25 September 2017 19:20:03

Fairygirl

The temps are key Paul. Two years ago I could have seeded in September, probably no problem, although I'd just sown a new lawn that June.  

This year, I sowed seed in July to sort a few patches. It didn't germinate as the temps were never high enough for long enough. It's still sitting there. Lucky if it got to 17, never mind staying at that for more than a day  

September is a great time to be sowing grass seed Paul. Most seed needs soil temperatures of 9C+ to germinate and this time of year the soil has retained its heat from the 'summer'. Of course the night time temps are now starting to fall which will slow it down and we won't be too far off the first frosts which will hit new growth. It's definitely getting late, probably too late now as we enter the last week of the month. 

Paul Charnock
Fairygirl says:

The temps are key Paul. Two years ago I could have seeded in September, probably no problem, although I'd just sown a new lawn that June.  

This year, I sowed seed in July to sort a few patches. It didn't germinate as the temps were never high enough for long enough. It's still sitting there. Lucky if it got to 17, never mind staying at that for more than a day  

See original post

Maybe they'll be a late heat wave!
I was out in my T shirt today.. ok, with an Icelandic wool jumper on top but...
You're no doubt right, I hate waiting though

Fairygirl

Paul  - if only patience was as easy to cultivate as grass! 

Paul Charnock

The slugs got all my patience years ago.

Advertisement

Lyn

I've been out gardening today in just a t shirt, well, and other items, it was 40c in the sunroom and 26.5c in the sitting room, the soil was still quite warm.

Mike Allen

Good advice all round.  Perhaps an other question.  When to sow [not plant] grass seed.  Grounds men will sow/scatter grass seed at all times of the year on sports areas.

Also, should I use some weed killer too? to help get rid of the weeds and moss.

Fairygirl

You could David, but it needs something to work on, so you need enough growth on the foliage of weeds for it to be really effective, and you'll also need to wait for it to get right to the roots, before digging etc.

If you then intend sowing seed you'll have to wait a while for the residue to be out of the soil so that it doesn't affect germination. 

If you want to get the lawn in place before winter, I'd be inclined to get digging the old fashiioned way  instead  

An update on how I have got on so far, I have dug half of it over and it hasn't rained for a few days and its still full of water and sticks to my boots from just walking on it. 

It's like the soil has still got lots of water in it.

Any ideas what to do now for it?

Thanks

David