London (change)
Today 10°C / 5°C
Tomorrow 10°C / 10°C
6 messages
15/09/2012 at 15:58

I moved into my house a year ago and the garden has not been touched for over 25 years. I have cleared the weeds and ground of rubbish and started digging it all over. I planted all the veg I usually do and lost everything. I have wire worm in the ground. I have been to all the well known garden centres, and some little ones, trawled the net and still can't find a solution to this problem. Can someone please help as I am now left with land I can't do anything with.

15/09/2012 at 17:16

There is not a lot you can do if you have this pest-turn the soil over and hope the birds do the trick.

There does not appear to be much available as a control

15/09/2012 at 20:54

I was afraid of that. Ok. Thankyou anyways for replying to me

08/10/2012 at 09:55

My information is that there is no chemical solution. Concur with sotongeoff, keep turning the ground over and let the blackbirds/thrushes at the blighters

08/10/2012 at 10:07

Chickens love finding and eating wireworms - just a thought 

15/11/2012 at 10:52

Thanks guys. I cant have chickens, although I would love them, I cant get permission as on the edge of a town. I have found that there is a type of mustard that can be grown in the ground, after a couple of months, they are chopped down and shredded and then dug in the ground again. As long as this is done within 8 minutes...the wee devils are actually gasses out the ground. I have planted some so will let you know how I get on. Never though for a second I would need to resort to chemical warfair lol. Thanks again everyone for you help

email image
6 messages