London (change)
Today 19°C / 16°C
Tomorrow 17°C / 12°C
4 messages
14/06/2012 at 18:00

Earwigs are destroying everything I plant at the moment (salad/brassicas/herbs/clematis). It's definitely earwigs as I've done a midnight raid with a torch & it's swarming with them. I've tried upturned flowerpots with straw in, but this barely makes a dent in them. Does anyone have any other tips before I try to obtain some Agent Orange?

14/06/2012 at 18:08

You have to find out where they are hiding in the day-they like dark places-so that is my only suggestion

As with all pests with legs what you do in your garden doesn't stop them strolling in from next door.

Others may have their own suggestions of course

23/07/2015 at 23:10

Hi, I have relocated thousands of earwigs by using simple homemade traps. Buy a length of guttering down pipe (Mini-line guttering works best from Wickes). Saw this into about 6 inch sections. Fill with straw or any similar natural material that will attract the earwigs to sleep in. Place the 'traps' around affected plants in daylight. For best effects leave for 2 - 3 days so that the wigs feel secure (you will get more at a time that way). During the day when they are tucked up in bed retrieve each trap and empty its contents into a large tall container (I use an old paint bucket). There will be loads of them. Use a wooden stick to poke the earwig filled straw out into your awaiting bucket. Separate the straw to use again and take the earwigs away. Keep tapping the bucket to make them fall to the bottom as they will crawl up the side again and again. I take mine to the grass verge on the nearest road. You will have to get into a routine - it will not eliminate the problem totally but by constantly depleting the numbers of earwigs you will soon see the benefits. It is the only effective way.

23/07/2015 at 23:38

Try rolled up corrugated cardboard, placed in strategic points. Leave overnight.  They hide in the ridges. In the morning drop the whole thing in a metal bucket or incinerator and set fire to it.

email image
4 messages