London (change)
Today 15°C / 11°C
Tomorrow 15°C / 12°C
14 messages
13/04/2013 at 17:45

A week ago we sprinkled granular lawn feed and weed killer all over the lawn (most of the garden), inculding areas down the edges that I had planned to tuen into flower beds.

Do I need to wait before doing this now? I've got loads of stuff to plant and lots of seeds to sow 

13/04/2013 at 18:38

What was the poison Paperflowers? they have different times for length of killing power. The packet will tell you what it contains.

13/04/2013 at 18:56
Paper flowers, lawn weedkiller can be persistent.
Can you remove the top few inches of turf and stack it somewhere ...upside down......for the summer?
I would not risk plantIng anything there without removing that soil.
13/04/2013 at 19:07

Nutcutlet, on the packet it says:

Phosphorus pentoxide total 2%, phosphorus pentoxide (soluble in water) 0.2%, potassium oxide 4%, nitrogen 12%

Also contains ferrous sulphate for moss

Verdun, no, I don't think we could store that much soil - I'll be taking a couple of inches off with the grass. I'm gutted - we've got so much to plant!

13/04/2013 at 20:20

Six weeks should be fine, I reckon. I know you can sow grass seed 6 weeks after treating with lawn weedkiller, and seeds are a lot more sensitive than plants.  

13/04/2013 at 20:41
Paper flowers
Can you trench it in?
Where you,wish to plant dig down 6" to 9" and bury that grass and top soil upside down. I would not plant any perennial there until end of,the summer .
Would you plant food crops there this,year? No. I'm sure you,would say.
Can you just have annuals for,next six months?
When I dig a,border from my lawn I trench in turves etc as I said earlier to help enrich the lower level of planting
13/04/2013 at 20:46

Am I being thick? I can't see a weedkiller in that list of contents. Looks like NPK and some ferrous sulphate, nothing deadly.

13/04/2013 at 20:56

Actually Gold1locks, it does say on the packet that you can sow grass seed after four weeks, but I'm not sure that makes it ok for other plants? It is only designed not to kill grass after all.

Verdun it would indeed mainly be annuals (my boyfriend avoided the area we are going to turn over for some strawberries and a few leeks and parsnips later on). I can trench the grass in - that's a really good idea in general as we don't have room for a compost heap.

Still not sure I want to risk my precious home-grown plants all shrivelling up and dying within days of being planted though. You would think there'd be some kind of warning on the packet!

13/04/2013 at 20:57
Hiya. It looks more like a moss killer....ferrous,sulphate.....would burn roots surely? In theory it should wash through quick enough but I would not want to,risk expensive plants there yet
Paperfllwers however did say she used weed and feed .....must have known what,she piurchased .so likely there is a weedkiller in there. Probably mentioned on front of the box
13/04/2013 at 21:03
Often on the box of feed and weed it says first mowings should be well composed before use. I always....always.....make sure such clippings cannot be used for a full season
Paperflowers the name of the product would be helpful but I think your annuals will be fine....just gold back for few weeks before planting
13/04/2013 at 21:05

Nutcutlet, how about 2, 4-D (0.562% w/w) and Mecropop-P (0.562% w/w) 

That was on a different part of the packet. The bit I looked at before did say 'fertiliser' at the top...

Doesn't weedkiller tend to work on contact with the foliage (poss not from what Verdun has said)? Maybe I'm overworrying this a bit - I am planning to take the grass off after all.

13/04/2013 at 21:08

It's Sainsbury's Lawn Feed Weed and Mosskiller (made by Westland). I have now emailed Westland to see what they say.

Yes it does say compost clippings for six months and do not use first three mowings for mulching. I'll wait a few weeks and plant away I think...

Thanks everyone for your help

13/04/2013 at 21:13
They are indeed recognised lawn weedkillers.
I'm sure your annuals will be fine if planting is delayed as you've decided.
13/04/2013 at 21:29

http://toxipedia.org/display/toxipedia/Mecoprop-p

http://www.pan-uk.org/pestnews/Actives/24d.htm

I don't like these, 2, 4-D id a hormone weedkiller that can leave you with distorted growth on broadleaved plants for some time. It isn't inactivated on contact with the soil nor does it only affect what it touches. 

All chemicals should be used with great care if you can't manage without them.

email image
14 messages