Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

how much time do you need for an allotment

OK,

so. i will be moving into a city centre flat next month, no garden. the council have kindly given me a list of allotment sites and numbers to call for them around the city. I have yet to take it further though as i'm not 100% sure whether it would be worth my while. i work full time and have other commitments during weekday nights, so in reality id have maybe all weekend and one weekend evening during lighter nights at the most to be on the plot. is this enough time, to make the most of the plot, in anyones experience? anyone with an allotment here, how often are you there/how much timer per week and what kind of return from the plot can you get?

• DovefromaboveDovefromabove Posts: 88,139

Two orking friends both with allotments have told me that they've managed to keep on top of their allotments if they and partner devoted most of their weekends to them during the growing season - what they found difficult was reaping the harvest - lots of veg need picking every day in order to get them at their best, and beans and peas and courgettes etc stop producing if they're only picked once or twice a week. 

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

I have been an allotmenteer for 30 odd years and believe me it is very hard work, but I so love doing it.  When I had a full time job it was a struggle and with it being out of sight it can sometimes be a shock when you do visit to find everything but your vegetables have grown in your plot.  I would not like to put anyone off but be prepared to devote a lot of time to it.  As others have suggested you could always share a plot.

p.s. I am a female and still managed it on my own as well as all the other household duties!  Hubby does not garden and only helps by eating my results. 

• Forester2Forester2 Posts: 1,477

Ha Ha pansyfaceimage

• The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • dking45dking45 Posts: 4

there's no substitute for hard graft, but it's worth it.

• DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

Hi there pansyface. I don't have a TV but I was thinking along the same lines as your comments from the occasional programme I've seen when I'm chicken-sitting at my daughter's house.  It's the same with most practical things on the TV, large pinches of salt are an essential requirement.  I've had most sorts of garden from itsy-bitsy to half a field (and allotments).  Chief requirement djjjuk is a reality check, you will need a 'work ethic', enthusiasm, a sense of humour and someone to hold your hand when all else failsimage

• Hostafan1Hostafan1 Posts: 34,888

How about covering part of the site with a membrane of sorts and focussing on the remaining part? That way, you don't have so much work to do,and , if you feel can devote more time, remove some of the membrane and take in some more of the site? I think it's true to say , it's supposed to be enjoyable; if it becomes a chore, you'll give up. Start small and see how you get on. 

Devon.
  • DorsetUKDorsetUK Posts: 441

Hi pansyface. Only metaphorically unless you live somewhere handy to Dorchesterimage.  I frequently have failures but as I've been gardening for some 60 years I just try some other plant or system.  I forgot to add you also need large doses of patience and perseverance to the advice for djjjuk.  But yes when something works it really does make it all worthwhile. 

• djjjukdjjjuk Posts: 211

Hi everyone, thanks for the comments and advice. it is exactly what i suspected it would be - i am more than prepared to put graft in, thats not an issue. the issue is the time in doing it. i have to be realistic and be honest with myself. im just not going to be able to do many weekdays, and even weekends i couldnt guarantee something else wouldnt come up.

there is another thread i have where there are city centre plots you can rent. they are expensive at £8 per month for a 2x1 metre raised bed, though if you take 3 raised beds it comes out at £5 per month per bed. still dear compared to an allotment but being about 20 mins walk away from where i will be i could devote more time to going there. before work, after work, lunchtime ... it would be much more convenient and obviously there would be less space so its more manageable. 

personally i eat a lot more salad, herbs and fruit than i do veg, which is also a problem as fruit needs quite a lot of space!

oh what to do ...image

• iGrowiGrow Posts: 183
    Without trying to be too rude I would suggest that you do some overtime and buy your salad etc. Allotments require more time than you appear to have available. Those raised beds you mentioned are expensive!