Start a new thread

1 to 20 of 25 replies

Hello again everyone. I would really appreciate some help. The thing is, my garden is full of slugs and snails. Oh, and aphids too. I just read last night that if I introduce frogs and toads into my garden, it will help to get rid of these pesky pests. But I don't know how to lure a toad/frog into my garden. Or should I buy them? If so from where? A normal pet shop?

It probably sounds silly, but I would really, really be grateful for your input. This year, the slugs ate ALL my spinach  and amaranth :(

Many thanks in advance

Loony

Obelixx

Make a pond and they will find their way on their own.

There's plenty of info online to help you re size, materials, design etc.  Have a look at this advice form the RHS - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=955 for starters.   Remember, whatever you do, to make an escape route so amphibians and any visiting hedgehogs and other critters can escape and not drown.

You might also consider controlling slugs in other ways.  Again the RHS is a good starting place - https://www.rhs.org.uk/advice/profile?pid=228 

Thank you Obelixx....is there any way other than a pond? My garden is not too big, there isn't space for a pond :( I will read those links now :)

nutcutlet

Frogs will forage in your garden if there are ponds fairly near by but they breed in water so won't be found miles away from it. 

If you use slug pellets you can guarantee no frogs and toads, or not for long.

I'm sure there are other suggestions on Obelixx's link

I've read on one of the links Obelixx sent me that I can try putting a shallow container of water in the garden to see if it attracts frogs. I will do that. I hate slug pellets and haven't used them, but I was sorely tempted this year. One of the links also mentions Nemaslug, which is a biological control. I am thinking of getting a packet whilst waiting for the frogs :)

Advertisement

There does need to be permanent water somewhere for frog, but they don't seem to be too fussy about what form it takes.  A couple of years ago I'd left a gravel tray out, and it had filled with water over winter.  When I went to move it, it was full of frogspawn.  We don't have a pond and neither to any of our immediate neighbour.s

Fairygirl

Hi l.gardener - it's a combination of things. If you can control the slugs and snails a bit, especially in spring, by physically removing them or using the nematode approach, that's probably the best way forward initially. Encouraging birds in to help eat them will also help, and a little tray of water like KT53 suggests, will attract other wildlife. Before I made the little pond I have here, I left a seed tray of water out - mainly for the birds to drink and bathe in. All these things will make a difference over time. 

You could also have a little boggy area somewhere with a few pond and bog plants. That will give frogs somewhere to go even if you don't have a pond as such. Some logs and wild corners in a quiet spot too. The wider habitat is just as important for them as the water. 

Firecracker

The couple over the fence from us,have a very old baby's bath (2'x1') they always have Frogs in the garden.The pond has been there since they moved in, in the 70s.

Watery

I have frogs in the garden and I still have slugs.  It is not at all a cure-all.   Apparently runner ducks are but I have a dog and a small garden.   You shouldn't try to introduce frogs from elsewhere because 1. They may not survive in your conditions and 2. It spreads ranavirus (frog disease.).   You may have frogs even without a pond, but how many slugs could a frog eat?  Night time raids help keep populations under control... or go out and look under rocks during the day.   Kudos for not going for pellets and other poisons.   

Watery is right, I'm afraid. I have lots of toads in my garden and enough slugs to supply the whole county. I am not sure how many slugs one toad can consume in twenty four hours but during the summer I was going out each evening and collecting three hundred. (I counted to relieve the tedium and to put a limit on the task, it would have been easy to get twice as many.) I am all in favour of encouraging frogs and toads but if you want to reduce the slugs you need to take other measures.

Clarington

I have a huge pond, so many frogs you can't walk on the path at night come mating season and...

some of the biggest healthiest slugs you'll have seen!

I have frogs and slow worms on the allotment. I also have plenty of birds frequenting the plot and still the war on slugs is lost..I win a few battles...they left the lettuce alone this yr but have devastated chard...

Dovefromabove

It's not a good idea for any predator to eat all it's prey - that way lies extinction for the predator!  A healthy balance is the ideal situation for them.

Frogs, toads, birds and hedgehogs etc help us ... we can't always rely on them to do the whole job ... sometimes we need to lend them a hand (organically) if we want to grow plants that are susceptible to slugs and snails.

And don't forget, it's the little slugs that do most of the damage to our plants - most of the big slugs eat already decomposing  plant matter and other slugs! 

Fairygirl

Frogs/toads alone won't clear a garden of every slug - it's not that simple. Like Clari, I had a huge pond in my last garden, so it was frog/toad city. We had loads of other mollusc predators as well, but that didn't mean there weren't any slugs! Climate/location, time of year and the type of plants that are grown are all factors.

Looking to achieve a balance is the aim, and it isn't an instant fix - it requires patience 

Dove, I no longer find that it is the little slugs that do the damage. Maybe I have those foreign ones everyone talks about, but my garden is plagued by large, orange coloured slugs that eat everything. If I go out on a warm evening I find susceptible plants literally coated in these slugs, flowers, leaves and stems. For example, I have a group of three modest plants - I forget the name but related to cow parsley - which were just putting up new shoots. One evening I removed 70 slugs from this group and over 50 the next. There is very little they won't consume and they certainly don't confine themselves to rotting material.

Advertisement

Dovefromabove

Oh dear Posy, it does sound as if you have Spanish Slugs which eat much more living plant matter than our native Arion ater slugs 

Clarington

Oh Posy that sounds awful! I'm afraid I'd be getting the beer traps out if I had monsters like that.

I think I'll need the beer myself......

I'm another one who has more frogs and toads than anyone could possibly count, I live in a rural bog, when the babies come out you really can't walk without squashing them, lawn mowing is mass murder, but I can easily pick 5ltrs of slugs in under 20 minutes on an evening.

I found that a combination of hand picking, and the organic slug pellets keeps the numbers down, it doesn't eliminate them of course, but it keeps it so I can also get some vegetables.

Really oddly my slugs do not like hosters. either that or I have the only slug resistant hosters known to man.

Thank you everyone, for giving me such wonderful feedback  :) sadly, I've learned that frogs are not my cure all. But I've also gotten a few wonderful tips :) 

What I've learned from this conversation is that I need to take an approach that combines everything. 

Posy, I saw a large orange slug in my garden this summer, that means there are more,  right? :(

So I suppose I will put out a small plastic pool in the hope that it will attract frogs,  although they won't do the whole job. I will also use beer traps. I've read somewhere about coffee and crushed Egg shells too. 

Do you know if diatomaceous earth works? That cropped up on a few blogs too. If I'm going to war, I'm going in all guns blazing. 

Many thanks to all of you wonderful people, it feels like an extended family!