Forum home Problem solving
This Forum will close on Wednesday 27 March, 2024. Please refer to the announcement on the Discussions page for further detail.

how to grow amelenchier ballerina as multi stemmed

hello all, newbie here with a problem!   have just bought a 2 year old amelanchier ballerina that i want to grow as multi stemmed bush. its currently about 4 foot but not in its final place yet. when i plant it is it simply a matter of hard pruning and if so when is best?

• Bumping up to see if anyone can help image

Gardening in Central Norfolk on improved gritty moraine over chalk ... free-draining.

• nutcutletnutcutlet Posts: 27,445

I'm pruning other deciduous woody plants so I should think you'd be OK to do it now. I've never grown this tree/shrub though. 

In the sticks near Peterborough
  • thanks all. I will wait unless my garden is less wet then plant it and maybe prune it a bit!  dont know if I am brave enough to prune it right back

• Jim MacdJim Macd Posts: 750

Before you cut it back make sure it isn't grafted. If it is grafted then you'll need to cut it back well above the graft and watch for any regrowth from bellow the graft. You could plant it deep burying the graft if it is. It isn't on a rootstock for any other reason other than propagation.